Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand tourist visa

• thaikc7461

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010

So....I am a little confused about what to do traveling Thailand on a 30 day free tourist visa. I am currently teaching here in Thailand but my Non-immigrant B visa expires along with my work permit on October 15th...so I was going to make a trip to Cambodia and fly back into Bangkok so I could get a 30 day free tourist visa. Once I have this visa...am I allowed to leave the country again and re enter before the 30 days is up? After coming back into Thailand from Cambodia, I will leave the country again to travel to Laos and VIetnam...and then come back into Thailand to fly home. Once I leave Thailand on my 30 day tourist visa and then come back in, do I get another free 30 day visa? or do i have to get a multi entry tourist visa the first time and pay?
    So basically I just want to know if I can leave and come back into THailand on a 30 day tourist visa and if I get a new 30 day visa once I re enter.

Thanks to anyone who can help...I hope this post isn't confusing!

#1 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

If you want to go out and come back in (like you said to go to Cambodia) you need a multiple entry. you can just go to the immigration office (they are all around Thailand and a few more in BKK) and just ask for a re-entry on your regular free tourist visa, that'll cost you about 900-1000 baht (1600 if they rip you off). With this you can go to Cambodia(if you have your visa for that) and come back at the border and just finish the rest of your free visa (you don't get a new visa cause you have your re-entry), but sometimes it's easier to get the new 15 days visa at the border and then extend it again (Though even better is just to get a new Thai visa in Cambodia if you plan to come back by land so you get a 30 day as well and if you're planning to stay longer just get a 90 days in Cambodia so you don't have to bother about anything).

I use my re-entry visa for Thailand only when I have a visa for 3 months or more (just to visit some friends in Laos most of the time and come back after a few days), otherwise it's just border hopping and come back with a 30 days again.

You do get a 30 day free visa again if you re-enter by plane via BKK.

#2 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 21:01

• thaikc7461

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010

Okay, Thank you!

Do you know if I can simply go to the immigration office and try to get an extended visa without leaving the country? My work permit and visa expire on the 15th...but do you think if I explained to immigration I want to stay and travel they would give me a tourist visa? I really do not want to have to leave the country before the 15th.

#3 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 08:48

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. When your non-imm-b visa runs out and you go to Cambodia, you're back to square-1 like most tourists. If you fly back into Thailand without a visa they'll give you a 30-day visa exemption (or 15 days if you re-enter Thailand by land border). If you again leave Thailand that visa exemption becomes expired (again back to square-1). Then after Laos etc. you return to Thailand you get another visa exemption, again 30 days by air 15 days by land. There is no reason to visit Immigration offices, extend anything, or pay money. Just get a new stamp upon each re-entry. And FYI you can not get a proper tourist visa at the border or inside Thailand - only at Thai embassies and cosulates abroad.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 12:26

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Thank you Bob - you got out exactly what I was thinking...and probably lots of others too! :)

#5 Posted: 4/9/2010 - 00:27

• thaikc7461

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010

Okay..So you are saying it is okay to leave Thailand and re enter on a 30 day tourist visa? The 1st one will just expire once I leave and I will get a brand new one on re entry? I also have heard that I need a multiple entry tourist visa if I leave and come back in on a 30 day tourist visa.

#6 Posted: 6/9/2010 - 12:48

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

If you leave and then come back by air, you can get stamped back in on a brand new 30-day visa exemption, yes - i.e. just a stamp in your passport without the need for an actual visa. As I understand it, they abandoned the old rule about getting a maximum of 3 visa-free entries in a 180-day period, so you can now do this as much as you want provided you keep leaving and returning by air. The same applies if you return overland, but you'll only get 15 days each time.

Not sure why for your purposes you would want a multiple-entry tourist visa. If you are staying for tourism purposes for an extended period then it can be handy to have one - I am on one at the moment and, being out here for two and a half months, it means I only have to leave the country after sixty days rather than after thirty - i.e. just the once (day before yesterday!), rather than twice. If you did want to get a multiple-entry tourist visa, as someone said earlier you'd need to get this from outside Thailand rather than from within - and you'd still be leaving on your Non-Immigrant B anyway. Tourist visas (including multiple entry) are currently free at consulates and embassies worldwide (until 31 March 2011) as part of the Thai government's attempt to boost tourism amidst ongoing political uncertainty.

#7 Posted: 6/9/2010 - 14:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand tourist visa ... By mattd82 on 7 Sep 2009 1 2336 7 Sep 2009
Tourist Visa for thailand?? ... By kellyireland92 on 14 Jan 2014 2 551 14 Jan 2014
If I get A Tourist Visa For Thailand, Can I.......... ... By JamieG on 23 Jul 2010 1 1983 23 Jul 2010
thailand tourist visa available in vietnam? ... By sharpie on 26 Mar 2010 0 2271 26 Mar 2010
Extending tourist visa in Thailand ... By scarletina on 25 Mar 2009 1 2988 25 Mar 2009
Thailand - Will I need to apply for a tourist visa? ... By MEvans on 7 Oct 2008 6 2136 7 Oct 2008
Do I need a tourist visa for Thailand given my schedule? ... By Levesque25 on 18 Oct 2014 6 387 21 Oct 2014
Thailand tourist visa fee exemption extended ... By bakpakk on 3 May 2010 0 2783 3 May 2010
Double entry tourist visa in Thailand ... By madindaelephant on 13 Apr 2008 1 7146 14 Apr 2008
Thailand and Cambodia announce combined tourist visa ... By somtam2000 on 26 Dec 2012 1 1615 26 Dec 2012