Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trip planning

• admash

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

Hi.

Me and the mrs. will be heading to Thailand for our Honeymoon in April. We arrive at BKK, then we're thinking of heading from Bangkok to Krabi , then to one of the little islands.

Would you advise to stay in to Krabi and decide where to go from there? or head straight onto one of little islands? We did consider Koh Ngai, but the lack of sunsets have thrown that up in the air.

So my questions...

From Bangkok, should we head to Krabi, or Trang?
    and Should we head straight to one of the islands, or spend a night or two looking first?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#1 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 19:46

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If flying south, go to Krabi . If by train go for Trang. Ferries run from Krabi town to Ko Lanta through the end of April and Trang is just two hours from Lanta by road, including two short vehicle ferry crossings open until 10pm daily. Have seen many a gorgeous red ball sunset up and down the west coast of Lanta and many different levels of accommodation without feeling really built-up like Phuket or Phi Phi. I'd just start there and see what's next, maybe a few days on Phi Phi and on Railay Beach. Or from Lanta island-hop further south to Ko Kradan, Ko Muk, and even Ko Ngai although yeah the main beaches face sunrise direction. Also just north of Lanta is Ko Jum (aka Ko Pu) which is a more downscale version of Lanta.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 20:42

• admash

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2010

That's great help thankyou.

Also one more question, what's the best way of getting from BBK to Krabi on an evening? Our flight looks like it doesn't touch down in BKK until 7:05pm, would it be best to maybe then stay in Bangkok for the night, and travel the following morning to Krabi?

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 20:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yes by 7pm you would have missed the last flights to Krabi (Thai Airways at 18:10 and Air Asia at 17:15). There are quite a few hotels very near the airport so I'd choose one and then grab the first flight to Krabi next day (Thai Airways at 8:00 or Air Asia at 10:20).

http://www.thaiairways.com
    http://www.airasia.com

List of many hotels near the airport here:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1901326

#4 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 21:39

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Much depends on how long you have overall, I think. Plus, of course, what you like.

I would consider heading into Bangkok (maybe one of the hotels on Sukhumvit) for a night or 2. Bangkok's a lot of fun and should be experienced. I also rather like Krabi - it is a proper town with a good night food market and some nice places to stay along the river front. 1 night would probably suffice.

Hmm.... I may stay in Krabi if I flew in the afternoon. (May give you another morning in B'kok). I have a feeling, though, that if you arrive earlier in the day the lure of the beaches on Ko Lanta will be too much.

I'm no expert on the weather and when things happen; others may enlighten. I was on Ko Lanta in late March this year and it was hot, hot, hot. I think in April it gets even hotter. May be a consideration.

#5 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 22:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.