Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary opinions - 6 weeks in Thailand

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Hi there,

I would really appreciate if someone can have a look at my itinerary and pin point routes that could be done easier or better. We'll be arriving in bangkok on the 12th November. Here we go!

Bangkok - 2 nights
    overnight train to Chiang Mai - 3 or 4 nights???
    bus to Pai - 5 nights
    back to Chiang Mai and overnight train to Ayuthaya
    Ayuthaya - 1 night, might consider 2, is it necessary?
    back to Bangkok, overnight train to Trang to get to Railay, Krabi. Is that stupid, can I stop anywhere closer to get to Railay?
    Railay - 2 nights
    ferry to Phi Phi - 3 nights
    phuket - 1 night, don't know if i should spend more cause from what I've read it's a bit hectic and we aren't the party people type, just looking to chill and stay in laid back places.
    bus it to Koh Lak - 3 nights, how long does the bus take from phuket town? was considering to add an extra 2 days to visit surin islands but I think it would work out to be a bit expensive from koh lak.
    bus to surat thani....any clue on how long it takes to get to surat?
    surat to ko samui - 1 night
    ko phangan - 6 nights
    ko tao - 4 nights
    overnight train from chumphon to bangkok and bus to Kanchananburi
    Kanchananburi - 2 nights
    back to Bangkok

Don't know if you're confused enough? I am :)

Thanks in advance.
    Ruth

#1 Posted: 5/9/2010 - 03:27

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

" Pai 5 nights", maybe do a sidetrip 2 days to Soppong and stay at Cave Lodge (superb quiet nature spot) http://cavelodge.com. Rent scooters in Pai and ride there (awesome).

Down south I'd say you have too many stops, and be aware inside the lower gulf (Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao) can be very rainy in November and December. Maybe sounds harsh but I would skip the whole Phuket-KhaoLak-SuratThani-Samui-Phangan-Tao plan and focus instead on lower west coast places like Railay, Phi Phi, Ko Lanta, and smaller islands Ko Kradan, Ko Muk, Ko Jum (pick a few not all). Train from Bangkok to Trang is a good way to start this off (closest train station to these islands with good connections).

Get back to Bangkok towards the end and sure Kanchanaburi can make a nice finale (Erawan falls, Hellfire Pass, river tours) just be aware Thai tourism kicks into high gear around the King's Birthday December-5 through January and especially on weekends Kanchanaburi town along the river can get really busy (and noisy with drunken karaoke barges late nights). Or go do a few last beach days on Ko Samet (also heaving on weekends tho).

#2 Posted: 6/9/2010 - 00:48

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Thanks for the tips captain. Will consider what you've said and maybe ask some more questions soon :)

Cheers

#3 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 00:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 weeks on the beach: Andaman or Gulf - or both? Opinions appreciated! ... By krisandleo on 3 Nov 2006 3 2059 7 Nov 2006
Our 9 week itinerary, Are we trying to do too much? all opinions welcome! ... By Tomhamish on 20 Apr 2011 1 2428 20 Apr 2011