Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How do I get to the Suvarnahumbi airport now if I travel by train?

• notruss

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2006

Hi all,

Glad I found this message board! I have traveled to Chiang Mai before and took the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok when I departed the country. It was easy to sleep, then just get off the train at about 0530 and go into the airport terminal for my flight.

Now since they are using the new airport, what stop should I get off the train? Do I now need to take a taxi or shuttle from a train stop to the Suvarnahumbi airport? How long would it take to transfer from the train to the airport this way?

Thanks in advance! I would still like to take the train from Chiang Mai, but if it takes too long to transfer I might have to fly instead.

#1 Posted: 16/11/2006 - 12:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi notruss,

Welcome to Travelfish!

The new airport is a LONG way from the train line! You'll need to take an airport bus from Hualamphong to the airport or a taxi. Time taken depends very much on time of day and destination. It took us over an hour from new airport to Sukhumvit (soi 27) on a friday night, while another friend came in on wednesday night and the same trip took 20 minutes... To the train station I'd guess an average trip would by 30-45 minutes.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 16/11/2006 - 21:03

• notruss

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2006

Thank you mahout!

Well, that's not good news for me, but at least it is one less "suprise" to deal with when on a timetable to leave the country. I hope they plan to add a Suvarnahumbi stop in the future.

I would think the new airport being as far away from the Don Muang is going to hurt the already established hotel business near the old airport.

I have decided to fly into Bangkok the day before and get a room near Suvarnahumbi since my flight departing the country leaves at about 0800.

If anyone knows of a reasonable mid-level hotel they could suggest near Suvarnahumbi, I would greatly appreciate it. The Novotel hotel advertised at Suvarnahumbi is priced as a monopoly in my opinion.

Thanks for your time!

#3 Posted: 17/11/2006 - 01:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Overnight Train from Suvarnahumbi airport to Chiang Mai - which train station is closest? ... By etsai026 on 14 Oct 2006 1 3070 15 Oct 2006