Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Some help with Thai Tourist Visa from Australia please.

• markacino

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010
    Location Australia

Hello all,

My partner and I are looking at returning to Thailand shortly for a period of LONGER than 30 days. As such we were looking at getting the Thai tourist visa which allows for a 60 day stay, which is apparently fee free now..

Has anyone got an idea of visa processing time for this visa within Australia?

If we did just end up going into Thailand on a 30day exemption visa, then doing a border run to get another 30 days would this work due to already having visited Thailand twice since the end of 2009? (ie is there a limit to the amount of times you can take advantage of visa exemption within a certain time period?)

#1 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 18:31

• Advertisement

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi there,

For all i know, doing a visa run with a 30 day exemption will only give you 15 more days.
    To get a new 30 days on arrival you will have to enter Thailand via an international airport from a country other than the neighbouring ones.

Don't know about processing time for tourist visas in Australia, but try check your nearest Thai embassy website for info.

Hope it helps.

#2 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 21:53

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Flying out of Aus to Thailand for more than 30 days the airline will require you to have a visa. At least it's part of regulations and in my experience the Aussies enforce it pretty consitently. Sorry I don't know about visa processing times in Aus but you pretty much should get one.

If you managed to squeak through airline check-in and depart without a visa, and instead get the 30-day visa exemption on arrival, yes you can then do a border run and get 15 more days by land or 30 days if you re-enter Thailand by air.

#3 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 23:04

• papill1

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Hi Markacino,
    My girlfriend and I are in a similar situation to you, we are heading back to Thailand from Australia (we are from the UK) and will be staying longer than 30 days. We have applied for a 60 day tourist visa from the Thai Consulate in Adelaide, I went in yesterday, filled out a form and took along 2 x passport photos, a photocopy of the picture page of our passports and our actual passports. You will need to have an idea of which hotel you will be staying at on your first night in Thailand and be able to provide an address of the hotel; I hadn't booked anything so just gave the hotel we stayed at last time on Khao San Rd. You will also need a copy of your flight details or travel plans in to Thailand. Again I didn't have this as we are planning to get a coach from Siem Reap to Bangkok, but this was acceptable.
    I left my passport and the form at the consulate yesterday (Tuesday) and was told that the visas would be ready to pick up on Thursday, so a two day turn around. The Tourist Visa is fee free at the moment in Australia.
    Cheers

#4 Posted: 8/9/2010 - 06:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Turning a Thai tourist visa into a Thai work visa? ... By gannongm on 27 Mar 2013 2 1020 29 Mar 2013
Thai tourist visa ... By CMD on 9 Feb 2012 6 1979 13 Feb 2012
thai tourist visa ... By ambersaffron on 5 Aug 2011 1 1984 5 Aug 2011
Thai Tourist Visa - Do I Need One & How To Get It? ... By Captain_Bob on 23 Oct 2010 0 3720 23 Oct 2010
How far in advance can i get a Thai Tourist Visa? ... By frankie_w on 27 May 2010 1 3765 28 May 2010
Thai Tourist Visa Extension ... By scrog99 on 4 Nov 2010 4 2808 11 Nov 2010
thai tourist visa in penang ... By ambersaffron on 22 Nov 2011 3 1587 5 Dec 2011
Price for Thai Tourist Visa ... By emmapatricia on 20 May 2011 4 8319 30 Sep 2011
Thai Tourist Visa - Double Entry ... By andrewmr on 6 Feb 2010 2 5258 25 Feb 2010
Thai Tourist Visa/One way ticket problem. ... By damburgery on 7 Feb 2011 6 4792 28 Apr 2011