Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Any way to get from Ko kradan to phi phi?

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Hi there,

I have 25 days or so travelling the andaman coast and my idea is below. can someone be so kind and see if it makes sense.

I'll be travelling from bangkok to trang and then heading to ko kradan for a week. My plan is to get to phi phi for a few nights and was planning on visiting ko jum too then catch a ferry to railay and fly back to bangkok from krabi.

Does that make sense? How can i get to phi phi from kradan?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Peace

#1 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 04:28

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Try this site for Tigerline... it looks pricey, but at least it's an option: http://www.tigerlinetravel.com/index.php?cat=lineboat

#2 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 04:58

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Thanks for your quick response lizzy. I guess that's the only way eh? On another note, I think it will be quite easy to get from phi phi to ko jum and then to railay?

Cheers
    Ruth

#3 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 05:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The link I just provided is just one option. I haven't travelled between those islands so can't offer any more practical advice. But there are lots of other local boat companies that that travel between the different islands - there are possibly other options. I know that there is a boat that takes people from Trang to/from Koh Kradan, Koh Muk and Koh Ngai - but I can't recall is they went as far as Koh Phi Phi.

Yes, it will be easy to get to Railay from Koh Phi Phi.

I'm sure others will jump on here sooner or later and be able to give you some more specific advice.

#4 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 06:30

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Here's another ferry schedule that might be useful.

http://www.andaman-island-hopping.com/traffic/ferrycentral.htm#krabijum

I got to the Trang islands from Lanta the first time I went to Thailand ... I just took the snorkelling trip boat from Lanta and hopped off on Ngai. It should be possible to do get on the snorkelling trip boat in the other direction from either Ngai or Kradan too. Ask your GH to book it.

Failing that, you could always take a bus/minubus from Trang to the pier to Ko Jum. I think it would be more logical to go to Jum before Phi Phi to save backtracking.

Nip into one of the travel agencies next to the railway station in Trang when you arrive there and ask about transport options to Jum. Take their card so you can call and book if you aren't sure how many days you want to stay on Kraden.

#5 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 14:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I'd go Trang - Kradan - Lanta - Jum - Lanta - Phi Phi - Railay - Krabi. Most doable transport-wise. Depends on season of course. Some ferries don't go May-Oct. Tigerline's season is more like mid-Nov to mid-April.

#6 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 15:01

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be there say 1st week of Dec, so it shouldn't be a prob. I think I'll do something similar to what you've suggestion captain.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 18:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In high season the Lanta to Trang island daytrip boats can also take you back to Lanta from where you can transfer to Phi Phi - but unfortunately the timing is such you may have to stay overnight on Lanta. Some dude told me Tigerline has the same problem but I'm not sure - from what I understand, next season Tigerline intends to run all the way from Phuket thru to Lipe and maybe on to Langkawi.

In low season it's a whole different thing. If you intend to travel before mid-late November, let us know.

#8 Posted: 14/9/2010 - 14:12

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Hi Tezza, thanks for the info. I'm gonna change the plan a bit cause I thought about visiting vietnam too. So now I think I'm gonna skip ko jum and from phi phi head straight to railay, maybe spend a couple of nights and then go straight to krabi to fly back to bangkok. Can you update your profile so I can send you a private message with my itinerary (I'm sure you'll manage to change it) and let me know what you think. I would greatly appreciate. Cheers

#9 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 02:17

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

By the way Tezza, I will be travelling south after mid-november, so I think I shouldn't have any probs :)

#10 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 02:18

• Advertisement

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

We have used Tigerline quite a few times ( Including from Kradan - But not in the direction you are enquiring about, sorry! ) and have never had a decent experience with them... They're not cheap either.

Even by Thai standards they are pretty hopeless. If you do use them, set your expectations low... Very low...

My 'favourite' trip with them was from Lipe to Phi Phi for Christmas 2009.

We were scheduled to leave Lipe at 9am but didn't actually leave there until 10.45am... No explanation either... Although strangely, the boat that Tigerline always use, and is moored overnight on Lipe, was mysteriously missing - A speedboat eventually turned up and transferred everyone to Trang...

Thats something Tigerline never tell you either, that you will always have a lengthy stop at Trang, where they make you disembark and then board another boat ( This happens whichever direction you're travelling in ). This particular trip was even better because the boat we transferred to was both late and broken down once it had finally arrived?!

Again, Tigerline didn't inform us of any of this, it was only when we saw the engineers dismantling the engine that we got any hint!

Eventually we left Trang at about 4.30pm... Which was roughly the time we should have been arriving at Lanta/Phi Phi!!

Darkness fell as we approached Lanta and the staff on the boat were simply using their own eyesight to navigate the boat into Saladan on Lanta - Pretty nervy stuff as there was barely any lighting on the boat and its obviously pitch black at sea!!

At exactly 9pm we arrived on Phi Phi feeling thoroughly knackered and almost losing our reservation at our guesthouse due to our late arrival. We, in theory had been 'travelling' for 12 hours ( It was meant to be about 7-8 hrs in total! ).

Not a good experience at all. You have been warned!

We have also used the day trip boats out of Saladan on Lanta to get back from Kradan to Lanta. Tezza is right, the timings are wrong for a transfer to Phi Phi. The boats all leave Kradan between 2 and 3pm and don't get back to Saladan until about 4.30-5pm... So a night on Lanta would be necessary.

They are much cheaper than Tigerline though ( About 200-300 baht per person from Kradan to Lanta ). You can just ask the staff on any boat moored on the beach if they can take you, most will.

The other point to be made here is that the Tigerline boat doesn't always stop at Kradan, a longtail boat may be necessary from Kradan to Mook to catch the connection, which will obviously push the price up.

#11 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 02:22

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

By the way Tezza, I will be travelling south after mid-november, so I think I shouldn't have any probs :)

#12 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 02:23

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Guys, what do you think about visit ko tao/phangan round about the end of november? Someone suggested that I should scrap it. That was my first choice. What do you reckon?

#13 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 02:29

• bronzedwarr-
    ior

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2007

Worst month to visit either island...

Unless you like rain that is!

#14 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 02:31

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

:) then the andaman it is. Cheers for all the help, much appreciated.

#15 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 03:31

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Whoa! Lots of good input here.
    BRONZED's knocking of Tigerline rings bells - things I forgot. Wally at Paradise Lost told me they often by-pass the island and dump Kradan passengers on Muk! And when I was on Laoliang a few years back Tigerline came in about 5 hours late with a buch of Bangkok Thais who then took it out on the resort management.

And yep, I'd avoid Phangan anytime in November unless I dearly wanted to see it and had no good alternatives.

ROOFLEE - you can email me at lajolla22@hotmail.com

#16 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 18:42

• rooflee

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

Really? hehe....then i guess i have to find another option aside from tigerline cause they seem very unreliable. Could one get a private longtail boat from Trang's pier Kantang anyways? I would rather pay a few bucks extra and get to Kradan :)

Hey, thanks all for the great info people

#17 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 00:10

• marinacomin

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2011

Hey;

I'm traveling to Thailand in November and i'm going to arrive at Phuket .
    I only have 4 days to enjoy the beach and i would like to get some advice.
    I'm arriving in Phuket november 11th at night, im going to sleep there and the next day im leaving to Phi Phi, where I'm planing to stay 2 nights.
    So, i have left 2 free days (November 14th and 15th) before moving to Chiang Mai.
    I would like to visit Ko Lipe, but there is feel time for the long distance betwen Phi Phi and ko lipe.
    I want to visit and stay in a small, calm and beatifull beach.
    What would you suggest?
    Is possible to stay in Ko Kradan and november 16th during the mornig get a fligh to Chiang Mai? From each airport can i leave?
    Thanks a Lot

#18 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 01:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.