admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Guardian has a disturbing piece on the Pata Zoo -- a zoo atop a department store in Bangkok. I know there are some dodgy zoos in Thailand, I'd never heard of this one, but it really takes the cake. It's a disgrace. An absolute disgrace.

What is even more of a disgrace is that, as it stands, the zoo is perfectly legal and all the animals have been obtained legally. The story notes that the zoo has just had its license extended.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/10/bangkok-zoo-animal-cruelty-thailand

#1 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 05:45

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's disgusting. As they said in the article, it's not a zoo. It's an animal prison. It is a reminder that anyone travelling to Thailand and other SE countries should think carefully before visiting any of these animal centres which claim to be zoos, or offer elephant walks, tiger petting, etc. Check it out first and consider the welfare of the animals. I'm not saying they are all bad, but just check them out before supporting them. IF there is no demand, there will hopefully be diminished supply. Of course, the problem with that is what happens to the animals if no one visits and there is no money coming in to feed and care for them? Conditions just further deteriorate and the animals are even worse off.

As Somtam said, it's a disgrace.

#2 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 06:26

• eveleeeeen

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2010

i couldnt agree more.we went on a day tour in koh samui which included stopping off at a "safari" park.the elephants were made do hulu hoop tricks,which just made me incredibly sad.they put make-up on a monkey and tried to get it to do tricks,and there were three guys putting their heads in the mouths of crocodiles,which had me hoping that the crocodiles would just snap,just this once!
    the park had a sign up saying that the welfare of the animals was important to them,but why would anybody ever think that putting make-up on a monkey is for their own good?!

#3 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 06:51

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

It's all very sad.Unfortunately,in Asia,not just Thailand, animals are just viewed as a means for monetry gain.What seems even more amazing is how the plight of these animals can be ignored by Buddists.Can only hope that one day it will change.

#4 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 15:40

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Yup zoos are pretty horrific. Also a lot of "rescue" centers. If you can acquire a bear and a tiger, cage them with a suitable backdrop and invent some rescue story particularly if it involves the "rescue" of "baby" animals from a hunted mother, you have a money maker. People will continuously send donations even while back home overseas.

If you don't like caged abused animals, don't pay money to go see any animals, or to pet them, or to wash them, or to ride them, or to have your photo taken with one.

Wild animals belong, , , in the wild.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2010 - 20:52

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I saw this zoo advertised the last time I was there. I don’t really like zoos in general so obviously didn’t go. It sounded pretty dumb at the time and still does.
    There are exceptions, but generally speaking to keep any animal locked up, especially in the day and age we live in now – is shocking. Breeding programmes etc I can both understand and condone.

We live in an age where we can see all these animals on tv, the internet and in books. We can even travel to the other side of the world to see them in their natural environment – if we want to.

#6 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 15:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.