Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Airport - Hualamphong - Ayutthaya

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Howdy,

In 4 weeks time I am returning back to SEA, as I am a bit on tight schedule and I don't want to stay in Bangkok after I land (have seen it :-), I am planning on taking a train directly after I land to Ayutthaya ...

My incoming plane lands at 6pm, train to Ayutthaya leaves at 10pm from Hualamphong station. I think there is enough time to get there and if I miss my connection, well I miss it... ;-)

My only concern is how to buy the tickets, will I be able to buy the tickets directly at the train station just a few hours/minutes before departure?? I know the train can be full...

The plan afterwards is to stay one night in Ayutthaya and then back on the train to Nong Khai, same question here, can I buy the tickets in Ayutthaya same day of departure at the train station?

Thanks for the help!

Lawoat

#1 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 21:16

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Lawoat,

To answer your question specifically, for the short trip from BKK to Ayutthaya , unless it is a particularly busy holiday weekend or something like that, you should be able to buy your ticket at the train station just before the train departs. In many cases you can just buy your ticket right on the train as well. Luckily it is a relatively brief trip from BKK to Ayutthaya, so you should be okay even if you wind up standing most of the way. Even so, I'd try to get a second class seat rather than a third class one if they are available on that particular train.

Same goes for the onward trip to Nong Khai . You should be able to buy a ticket for a seat on that train the same day. If you can, also look into getting an overnight sleeper seat for the Ayutthaya to Nong Khai trip. Those tickets are a bit more available last minute than say the BKK to Chiang Mai or BKK to Surat Thani lines.

I'm assuming you'll be flying into Swampy, the new airport, right? If you fly into Don Muang, you can just walk across the street to the train station there and catch the train directly to Ayutthaya. Even if you fly into Swampy, you can check to see if the link bus that goes to Don Muang is running, and go there instead of all the way into Hualamphong. I don't know for sure, but there may even be a bus from the new airport transit center that goes directly to Ayutthaya.

I love to see the temples of Ayutthaya all lit up at night. There is something majestic about it. Have fun. Regards.

#2 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 23:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station ... By Chicagojosh85 on 21 Nov 2012 9 3668 24 Nov 2012
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station connection ... By sashanyc28 on 1 Jan 2010 8 14118 11 Jul 2010
From Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station going to Aranyaprathet ... By jedai2007 on 9 Jul 2014 11 772 22 Jul 2014
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 32401 10 Jul 2014
Ayutthaya to Bangkok Airport ... By jojoba on 12 Dec 2009 1 2688 15 Dec 2009