Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Accomodation in Thailand in November - book before trip or on arrival?

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

I'm also curious about this question in Southeast Asia in general. I will be in Thailand at a minimum from Nov 14th to Nov 21st, and then in Cambodia and Vietnam until December 4th. I know December marks the start of the peak season for most of Thailand, so I was wondering whether I needed to pre-book any accomodations.
    I've never travelled in Asia but in Europe it seemed like it was almost necessary to pre-book rooms travelling during the summer season. On the other hand, people I know that have gone to SE Asia tell me you can just show up and get a room in most places.
    So what's the general opinion on this? I'll be staying in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket (or maybe Ko Phi Phi). I don't have a firm budget, but will be getting doubles since I'm travelling with a friend. Something under 1000B would be nice I suppose, although I am certainly not above trying cheaper accomodations.

#1 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 22:25

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I will book a room for my arrival day in Bangkok and, possibly, for the night before I leave. This is because I usually arrive and leave during the busy time of the year.

As for in between arrival and departure, it depends on a few things like where you are going, when you are going, when you are arriving, whether-or-not you have your heart set on a particular place, and whether-or-not you are traveling on a firm schedule. For the most part, though, you won't need to book in advance. For Phi Phi, though, you might consider it.

If you are going back to Bangkok on December 4th or 5th, you should try to have your transportation sorted out well in advance as the 5th is the King's birthday and Bangkok becomes an absolute madhouse.

#2 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 22:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i pretty much do it exactly the same way as Tilapia too. book your first night arriving after the long-haul flight, and book ahead for places you really really want to stay. but apart from that, just wander up and pick from what is available. it won't hurt to do a bit of research ahead of time to learn what range of places are available and what you can expect to pay, but given your fairly generous accommodation budget, it sounds like you should be fine. cheers.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 04:43

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Your period in Thailand is shoulder season - no need to book except as said on arrival and maybe popular places like PP and Railay IF you are after a specific property.

#4 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 16:08

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Have I got this right, you are in Thailand for 7 days but are doing Bangkok, Chaing Mai and Phuket?!
    Sounds a bit ambitious to me.
    Never travelled at that time of year, which is clearly the high season. However, When I've been in July we only booked first 2 nights in BKK. Everything else we picked ont he way. Chaing Mai was a bit of a problem though.
    If I was in any place for a short length of time I'd book ahead. I think the benefits of doing that rather than spending potentially hours trying to find accomodation in your price range are far greater than potentially saving a coulpe of hundred bhat. Especially as your time in Thailand is limited and yet you are going to many places.

#5 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 18:25

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

Thank you all for the advice.

#6 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 08:50

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

At the under-1000b level I doubt you'd be able to book anything in advance. Anyway November is generally not all that busy and even December is not busy up north. Chiang Mai has been quite dead the last few Decembers in fact. Mostly Thai tourists who tend to stay in the tacky Chinese-style tinted glass hotels. Tons of guesthouse rooms available well under 1000b.

Thailand at a minimum from Nov 14th to Nov 21st, and then in Cambodia and Vietnam until December 4th

Wait a sec, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket (and/or Phi Phi) all in 7 days? Yikes!

#7 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 13:46

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

Haha, I stretched my vacation a little bit so it's now up to 9 days (still all too aware it's painfully rushed).
    2 nights/1.5 days in Bangkok.
    3 nights/ 4 days in Chiang Mai.
    4 nights/3.5 days in Phuket (or maybe Ko Phi Phi)
    I know it's rushed and I'm especially worried I'm not devoting enough time to see BKK, especially since it's my point of entry for the trip and I'll probably be jetlagged the first day.
    Thanks for the detailed tips, Captain_Bob. I recall reading that you ran a guesthouse in CM with a link on an old forum post, I'll be sure to check it out.

#8 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 02:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HELP!!! Accomodation at Christmas...pre book or book when we get there??? ... By Danyelle on 19 Nov 2010 7 1979 21 Nov 2010
Female Travel buddy - Thailand Trip - November 12 to 19 ... By PKRvirus on 18 Jul 2013 0 512 18 Jul 2013
best accomodation option with kids on 3 month trip to thailand (islands) ... By ruthc on 25 Aug 2012 0 1007 25 Aug 2012
Book now or wait until arrival? ... By Jamois on 22 Feb 2012 9 8638 26 Feb 2012
Book tours before or after arrival ... By travellingcdn on 5 Feb 2012 1 1587 14 Mar 2012
do we need to book accomodation before ... By susanlangston on 1 Nov 2006 3 1558 2 Nov 2006
How far in advance should I book accomodation? ... By danudy on 15 Feb 2009 4 3824 16 Feb 2009
USING MAESTRO TO BOOK ACCOMODATION ... By nikpiff on 5 Dec 2007 2 1687 8 Dec 2007