Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Return tickets

• kshepherd

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2010

Hey all, I am planning to depart to Bankok the first week of october (waiting on passport) I want to stay until December. Should I purchase a one way ticket to Bankok and then try to buy a ticket to Hawaii while in thailand, or should I just purchase that ticket to Hawaii in advance. I am departing from Alaska in a few weeks.

thanks,

ks

#1 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 03:07

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Are you flying back to Alaska after Hawaii? If so, and assuming that you have a fixed term trip (ie Oct - Dec), you might be better of looking at return flights (via Hawaii) before you leave.

One way tickets on international flights (major airlines, at least) are notoriously expensive compared to the price of a return.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 03:38

• kshepherd

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2010

No, I'll remain in Hawaii for several months. So, what I'll do then, is buy my one way to thailand, then just make reservations to fly to Honolulu from Bankok before I leave.

I appreciate your response

ks

#3 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 03:49

• kshepherd

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2010

before I leave Alaska, I mean. That way I can just show up at the airport in bankok and fly home to Hawaii.

unless there is a better way?

#4 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 03:52

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Just to be aware, airline regulations stipulate you should have either a Thai visa in advance or a return/onward flight within 30 days of arrival in Thailand. Or even just any flight within a few months and they'll usually let it slide. So booking the Hawaii flight before your trip is a good idea. December high season expensive, try Korean Air around $900

#5 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 15:54

• kshepherd

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2010

Thanks man, I picked up a ticket Korean Air for 900 like you said, including that dumb cancellation insurance. But, fifty bucks to make sure I won't get stuck there due to some uncontrollable circumstance is worth it.

Another question: Is it pretty easy/inexpensive to just hop off the plane, grab a cab into bankok and find a place to stay the first night? I don't want to book in advance incase i suddenly decide to do something different.

#6 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 06:43

• bdtjones

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010
    Location Canada

If you have a visa pre-bought does this exempt you from having to have a return flight booked out of the country? And if not what is the best way to get around this? Book a flight that leaves within thirty days and cancel it? I'm asking because i'm planning to start a 6 month SEA trip that starts in Bangkok

#7 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 08:40

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@bdtjones - I was in your exact situation. From Australia at least, you could show a 2 month visa and not have to have a return ticket.

#8 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 15:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
return tickets to kathmandu and japan from bangkok ... By lisaj on 16 Oct 2006 0 1473 16 Oct 2006