Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Samui - Lamai or Chaweng

• thaitime

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2010

Anyone going to Koh Samui will quickly find out that the 2 most happening places on Samui are Lamai Beach and Chaweng. Having stayed at both I found Lamai far better for those that like to visit the girly bars in the evening, yet in the day not be bothered by the back packer crowd. As far as accommodation goes, Lamai Inn has some great bungalows on the beach at very competive prices ranging from 1,500 - 2,500 BHT depending on the season. Chaweng I found had a dirty feel to it and althought it does boast some very nice upmarket resorts the price compared to Lamai is way over the top. Let's here your views: Lamai or Chaweng

#1 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 19:05

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

From what I've read, neither.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 20:07

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

I was havin e same feeling when i got to samui.but rentin a scooter t a dirt cheep price and riding around lamai n Chewang threw some light up on me and ended up choosing chewang.Was staying beach is nt that close either but Acc was damn cheep.and nice & cool bars from e place which i stayed :) day time u culd meet alot of back packers ( Chewang is more famous in samui )

#3 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 19:35

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

I was havin e same feeling when i got to samui.but rentin a scooter t a dirt cheep price and riding around lamai n Chewang threw some light up on me and ended up choosing chewang.Was staying beach is nt that close either but Acc was damn cheep.and nice & cool bars from e place which i stayed :) day time u culd meet alot of back packers ( Chewang is more famous in samui )

#4 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 19:36

• Joss369

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2010

The last time I found Chaweng to be much more relaxed, (2005) than Lamai, I did hire a bike and had no trouble moving around, I found the nightlife better in Chaweng as it did not have the swarms of pestering prostitutes than Lamai, which though can be a laugh, wont let you leave and go home alone.

#5 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 22:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I rate them about equal and I rate them worth a visit and okay places to stay. All the knockers have not checked the places fully.

#6 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 15:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I figured that the OP was thinly-veiled spam for the hotel they mention. Plus, I didn't know who they were trying to impress with that not be bothered by the backpacker crowd comment.

Samui has a lot more going for it than just Lamai and Chawaeng. Maenam Beach, for example, on the north coast, has a laid-back feel. Good for families as well as the all-day-in-a-hammock crowd.

We enjoyed our last stay on Lamai, particularly at night listening to the waves and enjoying a drink at a restaurant or at one of those fly-by-night bars that set up on the sand. Good water and sand. Good food courts. Lots of inexpensive massage places. Didn't feel bothered by the backpacker crowd even a little bit. Cheers.

#7 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 22:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lamai, Koh Samui ... By gogirlgo on 10 Jan 2008 6 1901 11 Jan 2008
Koh Samui - Lamai Inn99 - anyone know? ... By Flacha on 14 Jul 2008 0 1532 14 Jul 2008
Langham Place Samui at Lamai Beach ... By lho on 4 Dec 2009 1 2203 17 Dec 2009
A new boutique resort, Langham Place Samui at Lamai Beach ... By wilcoyeung on 4 Sep 2009 0 2155 4 Sep 2009