Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi-Phiphi-Lanta or Payam-Khao Lak?

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

We’ll be in the south of Thailand next year for our last 16 nights from Feb 13 till March 1. I made two itineraries, both with pros and cons. Now I don’t know what to choose!
    For both: we come from Prachuap Kiri Khan by train.

The first:
    · Khao Sok 4 nights (or 3, if we can’t get here in one day)
    · Pan Nga 1 night
    · Krabi 3 nights (with visit or stay on Railay)
    · Phi Phi 2 nights
    · Koh Lanta 6 nights

This covers a lot of the must-sees, I guess. The most beautiful spots of Thailand, or not? But also the busiest and most expensive.
    Koh Lanta I choose because it’s bigger with opportunities for exploring by scooter. But does it have beautiful beaches and a worth exploring inland? Our standard is Koh Chang where we were last Feb. That was the right size and the right amount of touristy stuff for us.

The second:
    · Koh Payam + Surin Islands 4 nights (can we get here in one day from Prachuap?)
    · Khao Sok 4 nights
    · Pan Nga 2 nights
    · Khao Lak 6 nights

Less must-sees, but more quiet and cheaper.

Is my first itinerary worth the extra buck and the extra tourists? Is it really must-see?
    Will my second itinerary fulfill my need for beautiful beaches and exploration.

I had a third option, same as the second but instead of Koh Payam: Koh Tao. But we’re no divers at all so I’m afraid we’ll feel a bit locked out on this dive island.

Too many choices! Luckily I have another 4 month to think it over. And luckily I have this forum for a little advice and experience to get me in the right direction.

#1 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 22:35

• Advertisement

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

I went to Krabi , Phi Phi and Ko Lanta last March and I enjoyed all of them very much. Phi Phi is a little claustraphobic depending where you stay but amazingly beautiful. Krabi was very relaxed and we stayed out of town so it was very quiet too. Good markets as well. Ko Lanta was my favourite of the three though.Beautiful beaches, interesting things to see and some great food and shopping too.
    I can't help with advice on your other destination as i haven't been there, butI'm sure someone else can help :)

#2 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 16:32

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands

Thanks, Alleycat, for your reaction. I was leaning toward Koh Payam and Khao Lak , but your enthousiasm makes me think again. I hope I get some experiences about Khao Lak and Koh Payam.

#3 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 23:50

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

If this is your first visit, I reckon option one is the go. See the classic places first. I think I might trim a few nights off Lanta - but that"s a personal call.

#4 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 14:55

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

Not a problem at all Dutchgirl :)
    i am in the middle of planning a trip to Thailand and Cambodia early next year myself so i am on here a bit at the moment. I find it is a really helrful website. :)

#5 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 07:00

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands

Allycat, where did you stay in Krabi? And where in Koh Lanta? My husband keeps asking me for a bungalow or hut on the beach, can we find that in Koh Lanta? At a nice price, of course... and nice is about 1000-1500 Bht.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 02:58

• allykat

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

We stayed at Howdy Relaxing Hotel at Krabi Yai. It was a bit out of town but I liked the quiet and they had a free shuttle bus to Krabi, Ao Nang and the night markets.It cost about 1200 baht a night. And on Koh Lanta we stayed at Lanta Resort. We had a bungalow right on the beach there and it was really lovely , but it was about 2200 baht . There are cheaper resorts which are right on the beach too so you should find one in your price range (or cheaper ) easily. Me and my partner are going back to Lanta as part of our next trip we liked it so much.

#7 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 20:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best Area To Stay In Ko Phiphi, Ko Lanta, Ao Nang & Ko Chang ... By borgy on 13 Feb 2010 3 6147 20 Apr 2010
Help Itinerary Andaman: Khao Sok, Khao Lak, Krabi 10 days (& pregnant) ... By hello02 on 10 Sep 2014 1 238 11 Sep 2014
Krabi-Khao Lak-Khao Sok by public transport ... By McCaskell on 6 Oct 2007 11 13736 3 Apr 2012
Khao Lak/Lanta/Phi Phi - help? ... By carlyb on 8 Nov 2009 0 2099 8 Nov 2009
Ko Lanta or Khao Sok with kids? ... By kseybold on 8 Oct 2013 1 676 8 Oct 2013
Ko Lanta or Krabi ... By westcoastmimi on 2 Nov 2009 10 4526 3 Nov 2009
Koh Lanta to Krabi ... By salbruce on 15 Sep 2006 4 2129 16 Sep 2006