Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

speedboat times from phuket to koh phi phi

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

Hello,
    I am flying into Phuket from BKK on Tues, Nov 16th. I am flying from Phuket to Chiang Mai on Friday, Nov 19th at 10:35 AM. I'd like to spend most/all of my time on Koh Phi Phi. The earliest flight from BKK gets in to Phuket about 9:35 I believe, meaning I'd have to wait until 13:30 for the next ferry. Also, I would have to take the afternoon ferry back to Phuket on Thursday at 14:00 I believe and spend the night in Phuket so I don't miss my flight the next morning. As such, I was wondering just how one goes about arranging speedboat transfers between the islands. I was initially willing to fly but it seems Destination Air is out of business.
    I did some research into speedboats but am still unclear about several things:
    - It seems the prices for a speedboat start from around 8000B. How many people can a boat like this fit? Is it easy to just hire a boat like this on the spot at Rasada harbor or does it have to be pre-arranged? Is it easy to find other tourists willing to share the ride? How much time does it take to do the trip? Is it significantly faster than the 2 hour ferry ride? Do you get dropped off at Tonsai or can you specify?
    - How hard is it to arrange a speedboat FROM Ko Phi Phi to Phuket? And when is the latest/earliest they depart Phi Phi? I would like to leave very early on Friday to give me time to make it for my 10:35 flight or, alternatively, catch as late a ride as possible back to Phuket Thursday evening to maximize my time on Koh Phi Phi.
    Thank you for any info on this!

#1 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 23:34

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Lots of daytrip speedboats go both ways - you may be able to get a ride. Google will find the operators. Ditto charter speedboats - but be prepared to mortgage your house.

Note Phuket airport is a minimum 40 minutes from the pier - more if the traffic is bad. By the time you clear customs immigration and get to the pier you may not have too long to wait. Particularly if your flight is not on time.
    If you have a bit of spare time, get your taxi to take the west coast route past Naithon, Kamala, Patong etc - some real nice scenery here and the extra cost will be chickenfeed compared to a speedboat seat.

#2 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 16:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Found some speedboat info here
    http://phi-phi.com/ferry/

#3 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 18:26

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, tezza. Since I made the original post, I have added on an extra day to my stay on Koh Phi Phi, so will not be AS rushed to make the most of it. I'll take your advice and take the scenic taxi route, it sounds really nice. Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 23:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phuket tourist arrivals continue to plummet, grim times ... By travelfishnews on 7 Mar 2009 1 2671 7 Mar 2009