Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

how much money to bring? 10 weeks

• TheNewGuy8

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

woops.

I'll be in Thailand for at least 4 weeks, mostly in Chiang Mai studying massage, and also travelling on the weekends. Then I'll be in other countries for another 6 weeks - do the Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam spin, and probably Bali.

How much US currency should I bring? The less I have to take out there the better, as I get lots of fees from my bank. Outside of Thailand is US Currency what I'll use most?

Thanks all

#1 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 20:24

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

For 70 days I'd be planning on about $2000-2500 for daily expenses ($28-35/day). You can go a bit cheaper in places like Chiang Mai and smaller Laos towns, and leave some margin for the ocassional splurge, like the pricier bungalows down on the southern beaches. You'd be pretty brave to carry that sort of cash around the whole time, so carry a large portion of it in travelers checks and/or get the ATM card out once in a while and take out the max daily limit.

Vietnamese Dong and Laos Kip are standard currency in those respective countries, although US dollars are accepted and even prefered in some higher-level hotels and some western-style restaurants. In Cambodia the USD is pretty much the standard currency of tourism but Riel is more appropriate for smaller towns and small transactions.

There are increasing numbers of international ATMs in Laos and Cambodia, and there are lots of them in Vietnam, and one on every street corner in Thailand. Sure there are associated fees but you get something for it - convenience and safety.

#2 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 21:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How much money can I bring to Vietnam? ... By Hitengy on 6 Dec 2013 3 1175 10 Dec 2013
Going to Thailand in a week for 2 weeks, what should I bring? ... By shore9 on 1 Nov 2007 7 2078 6 Nov 2007