Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

how much money to bring? 10 weeks

Posted by TheNewGuy8 on 26/9/2010 at 20:24

woops.

I'll be in Thailand for at least 4 weeks, mostly in Chiang Mai studying massage, and also travelling on the weekends. Then I'll be in other countries for another 6 weeks - do the Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam spin, and probably Bali.

How much US currency should I bring? The less I have to take out there the better, as I get lots of fees from my bank. Outside of Thailand is US Currency what I'll use most?

Thanks all

#1 TheNewGuy8 has been a member since 8/9/2010. Posts: 35

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/9/2010 at 21:06

For 70 days I'd be planning on about $2000-2500 for daily expenses ($28-35/day). You can go a bit cheaper in places like Chiang Mai and smaller Laos towns, and leave some margin for the ocassional splurge, like the pricier bungalows down on the southern beaches. You'd be pretty brave to carry that sort of cash around the whole time, so carry a large portion of it in travelers checks and/or get the ATM card out once in a while and take out the max daily limit.

Vietnamese Dong and Laos Kip are standard currency in those respective countries, although US dollars are accepted and even prefered in some higher-level hotels and some western-style restaurants. In Cambodia the USD is pretty much the standard currency of tourism but Riel is more appropriate for smaller towns and small transactions.

There are increasing numbers of international ATMs in Laos and Cambodia, and there are lots of them in Vietnam, and one on every street corner in Thailand. Sure there are associated fees but you get something for it - convenience and safety.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.