Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Not enough time to make connecting flight with Air Asia ?

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

I am flying Air Asia Chiang Mai (CNX) - BKK on November 24th, 12:30 - 13:40. I have a connecting flight BKK - Phnom Penh (15:15 - 16:20). I feel stupid for only asking this now but will that give me enough time to transfer? I know I haven't allowed any time for delays, is Air Asia generally on time? Since my first flight is domestic, I'm hoping I won't have to clear immigration upon arrival, and can just run to the luggage belt, snag my bags, and run over to the check in desk (I know they close 45 minutes before departure, giving me 50 minutes from wheels down to make it). Does Air Asia have any self check-in counters at BKK? If I check in online and get my boarding pass, I assume I'll have to claim "no checked baggage", but once I have my boarding pass, can I show up at the check-in desk and ask to have my bags checked? I guess if I check in online the worst thing they could do is stop me at the gate and say I can't carry the bags on and charge me some fee to have them put in with the checked baggage?
    I would have loved to give myself more time, but the next earliest flight was 0820-0930, meaning I would have had to spend 5.5 hours at the airport. Do you think I should be okay?

#1 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 23:39

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You'll definitely be rushed, but you should be OK. You don't need to clear immigration on arrival in Bangkok from Chiang Mai , but you will need to clear immigration (out of Thailand) before you can get to the international terminal and board your flight to Cambodia.

As you said, if your flight out of Chiang Mai is delayed then you're in trouble. I've had only positive experiences with AirAsia (on the other hand, I'm *always* delayed with Tiger and JetStar), though there's lots of people who complain about Air Asia delays. There's really no way to know...

You can check-in online for AirAsia, but then you need to get your boarding pass verified and drop off your luggage at the check-in counter anyway.

If you want to be proactive, the best thing to do would be to check out a map of BKK airport so you know *exactly* where you're going!

#2 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 16:15

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You've got 50 minutes between the scheduled arrival of the internal flight and the need to be at the AA counter for check in.I think that this is a bit too tight but I would love some more info from people who can recall how long it takes to get from the domestic to the international terminal.I remember when I fly internally into Suwannabhumi I've been bused from the plane to the terminal and that takes 10 minutes at least.How far a walk is it from the domestic to Intermational? As anybody timed it? The other problem is going out through Thai immigration;there are usually queues there and I've often had to wait over half an hour to be processed.Ok you've got your boarding pass by then but you then have a long walk to your gate. I hope I am wrong and somebody can correct me but if it was me I'd avoid the stress and try and get a flight the day before.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 22:14

• emile0867

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

Sure it will be very short, but should be OK only if no delay with AirAsia.
    Recently, I did not have bad experience with them, but in the pas, it is often and regualry to have some delay with AirAsia and sometime quiet long.
    So, hope you will be lucky !!!

#4 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 02:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
LHR - BKK - Krabi - time for connecting flight? Advice please! ... By katieandryan on 5 Feb 2009 1 2804 5 Feb 2009
Visa on arrival - connecting flight ... By sanmarti on 16 Nov 2010 2 2530 17 Nov 2010
Adequate time for connection flight using Air Asia (Bangkok)? ... By joenerf on 9 Sep 2011 8 6407 11 Sep 2011
Connecting flights with Air Asia ... By Rohan on 20 Oct 2009 3 2864 21 Oct 2009