Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Don Muang to Ayuthaya at around 19:30?

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

What would be the best option to get from Don Muang airport to Ayuthaya in the evening. We land at 18:20, need to collect the luggage, so I assume we will be out of the airport at 19:30.

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 09:10

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can catch the train at Don Muang Station. There are 3 or 4 stopping there, heading north, between 20:00 and 21:00. No need to go to the main station, or the bus station. That would be the least expensive option.

The easiest, but most expensive, would be to hire a cab. Depending on traffic, this option might not be the quickest.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 09:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'd most likely just walk over to the Don Muang train station and catch a train to Ayutthaya too, just like Tilapia suggests. I used to do this years ago when I lived in Europe and was arriving at Don Muang in the morning. It is a fairly short walk along a covered-ish walkway to the train station, and the ride from Don Muang up to Ayutthaya should cost hardly anything at all and only take 90 min or so.

Once you arrive in Ayutthaya, you'll want to walk through the train station west and then cross the river (100 meters or so) on a small ferry boat, which I'm guessing runs at night or anytime a train arrives. Otherwise, I guess you'd need to get a tuk tuk at the station for the trip over the river into town.

If you are pressed for time, or just want to take it easy after a long flight, the taxi option sounds sweet. From Don Muang, the taxi would be able to take the elevated road, which goes almost half of the way to Ayutthaya now. Even with a bit of traffic, I'd expect this to be a bit quicker than the train due to the connection delays and waiting times. Not as adventurous, but more comfy for sure.

Anyway, that's just the long-winded version of "What Tilapia said..."

#3 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 10:30

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Once you arrive in Ayutthaya, you'll want to walk through the train station west and then cross the river (100 meters or so) on a small ferry boat, which I'm guessing runs at night'

I think the little ferry stops around 8pm but there is a really nice friendly guesthouse on the left as you walk to the river from the rail station.The long-haired Thai who runs it is from Isan and is pretty helpful.

#4 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 14:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

excellent suggestion sayadian. i've seen that little guest house on the left you mention but i've never stayed there. it also seems like a great spot to get a day room on a day trip to Ayutthaya and have a place to drop your pack, grab a nap and a shower before catching the night train to the north or northeast. do you know what their price range is for a room?

#5 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 21:33

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I stayed there with my wife in Feb. I think the price for a large room was 220 baht but they also have these quaint little wooden single rooms which are probably even cheaper. The place is spotlessly clean but you do have to share a bathroom with hot water.Downstairs they have a restaurant, communal area so you're never short of company.The guy who runs it is a mine of information if you need help planning trips.
    A great place to sit out in the evening with a beer.There are also quite a few reasonable bars and restaurants right opposite the railway station.One of them is owned by a Dutch ship-owner who spends half the year as captain of his own ship and the season running the bar with his Thai wife.He's interesting company with a few travelling tales to tell.

#6 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 23:23

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sounds perfect. makes me wish i were there right now...

#7 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 05:15

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

the train idea sounds the best, do we need to purchase the tickets in advance or can we just show up and get on the train.

Also, where can I find the train schedule?

#8 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 22:41

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You won't need advance tickets.

State Railway of Thailand

#9 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 00:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

should be plenty of seats available, although it may be in third class depending on which train comes along first and you could possibly wind up standing for part or all of the trip. but that would be the case whether you had an advance ticket or not, and the fees for the advance ticket are absolutely not worth the convenience in this case.

there is a ticket booth at the Don Muang train station, and i've always just purchased a walk-up ticket there for the short trip to Ayutthaya.

#10 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 01:39

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's only an hour from DM to Ayutthaya, just enough time to eat some of that lovely barbeque chicken they bring on to sell at the local stations;-)

#11 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 17:51

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009

thank you for helpful replies!

Would you know the name of the little guest house by the train station Sayadian?

#12 Posted: 6/10/2010 - 01:46

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's a place called the Mint Guest House near the train station. I've never stayed there so can't say anything about it.

#13 Posted: 6/10/2010 - 05:32

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I can't remember the name but it is very easy to find.You'll come out of the railway station down the steps and the road to the river is straight ahead.It can't be more than 300 metres long.The guesthouse is about halfway down on the left.There's a little restaurant area out front with tables and chairs.Maybe it's the Mint as Tilapia mentions

#14 Posted: 6/10/2010 - 14:20

• Tropicalfru-
    it

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Hi there,

I hope you guys can help

I will be at Ayutthaya for 2 days in May and the have to take a plane to ChiangMai from Don Mueang Airport
    My plane leaves at 12.50 in the evening.

Would like to know what would be the best time to take a train from Ayutthaya to Don Mueang Airport?
    Minding that Thai trains have some delays

Hope someone could help me with this

Tnx in advance

Greetings,
    Tropicalfruit :)

#15 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 06:26

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

back to the question:
    IF plane is on time-you will be out well before 18.00, its domestic. They use the old INternational term at DMK=just across from the trains (NOT the old domestic anymore).
    BUT; you may have to wait quite long for a train-and by that time most trains are the overnight expresses to ChMai etc-you pay for the berth also=making them well over 200 bt. ONLY the all stops 3d cl. local trains, of which there are a very few, cost like 12-13 bt.-free for thai people (or for japanese who look thai enough). You cannot prebook these short sections-they only sell tickets for the next train out.
    If no suitable train in the next 30 mins-dont waste time-unless you are determined to train it-walk to the nearby bypass where all the buses stop=beside the wat Don Muang and wait for a blue Ayuttaya bus, nr 901-sets you down at the market in town.
    To the last poster who didthreadjacking: do not even think about trains as they are always late. Again; that bus will-if asked-also stop right beside DMK air-terminal and is on time, very frequent. Thread jacking is misusing a post to put on another question.

#16 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 02:14

• Tropicalfru-
    it

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Sorry Captainbkk,
    I try to delete my post but was not possible.... newby here :(

So I see I will have to leave to train option out and just take the bus from Ayutthaya to Don Mueang Airport and that is busnr. 901
    Am I right?
    I hope I can ask a last question about this: How long is the ride with the bus and how much will it cost?

Captainbkk thank you in replying my question even though I had tread jacking the previous posts. Im aware about that now for the next time I post something ;)

Have a nice day
    Tropicalfruit :)

#17 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 07:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.