Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

When is a good time to buy my plane ticket?

• molocono

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2010

I'm trying to head out to Thailand (from California) at the end of January for 6 weeks. When is a good time to buy my plane ticket? I try to fly American cuz that's were I have all my miles. The fares are not that bad now, but I'm hoping they could drop maybe $200.

#1 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 08:10

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

If you don't mind spending more 100/200/300$ because prices didn't go down but up, don't buy your ticket now. Otherwise you should have bought them 3/5 months ago. Good luck!

#2 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 01:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i bought my tickets for my last trip nearly 10 months in advance because the airlines were having a fare war at the time. i noticed that the fares got more expensive as the time approached, but that with only a few weeks to go a few of the airlines had some last-minute specials that were nearly as good as what i'd paid all those months before.

i wouldn't count on those last-minute specials however. it seems that lately most airlines have cut capacity which allows them to charge more for the fewer seats on offer.

shopping for a good fare on just the one airline really limits your options. i can definitely appreciate trying to capture those frequent flyer miles, particularly on such a long trip. it may be worth any extra money you wind up paying to fly on AA, but it may not.

have you checked to see if there are any of AA's partner airlines also flying that route? that might be a good way to find the lowest available fare while still earning some miles for the trip. just a thought.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 01:36

• scythemk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

I bought my international airfare to Thailand 3 months before my planned departure date, but had been tracking fares 2 months before that and am still tracking it now, with a month left. On certain airlines (Cathay Pacific) the fare has remained about the same ($10 cheaper now than 4 months ago), while others, like the one I booked (China Airlines) have gone up by $100-200. It's absolutely impossible to predict how these fare trends will fluctuate with any certainty. I remember reading somewhere that typically 3 months or more out, the price is set in the middle tier of the ticket price range as a default. Less than 3 months out, the airlines' reservation system begins actively managing the fare based on load factor, demonstrated demand online, etc. This could be good or bad. If the airplane has a LOT of empty seats left, the system will lower the price. If the seats start selling rapidly, the price will rise. The price is adjusted 2-3 times a day if not more, every day of the week from what I understand. In conclusion, I would agree with the previous posters and say that unless you fancy yourself a big risktaker, I would book as soon as you know your travel dates with some certainty. You might gain SOME savings if you wait to book, but more than likely you may end up paying $100-300 more per ticket and having less airline/flight time options to choose from. Good luck!

#4 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 01:42

• molocono

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2010

I really would try to fly American because of the miles. I'm looking at around $1,200 RT from San Diego to BKK. This would give me full miles. I can go a little cheaper, maybe $100 less and get like 50% of the miles.
    It seems that there a slight possibility that I will have to fly out of the New York area. That seems to be a little more expensive, around $1,300.

#5 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 01:49

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

I bought my ticket today. I have little to add to this debate I'm just really excited! The flight is 29.10 to BKK rtn costing me 475 pounds, having gone down 25 pounds in the last 2 wks. Can't wait!

#6 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 05:07

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

@oscarcat

Are you flying from the UK? May I ask where you purchased your ticket for that price???? Is that a return btw? I was £720 from Glasgow to BKK (return). Only one stop though and 14hours travel time.

#7 Posted: 28/3/2012 - 14:49

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I am flying to Bangkok at Christmas. I paid $895 round trip on China Eastern Airlines in late January, 11 months before my departure. The same fare is now $1200 -- go figure?

#8 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 09:21

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Try SKYSCANNER a great site you can compare whole months availabilities.

#9 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 23:24

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

yeah skyscanner! that was the cheapest flight search site I found online. and i tried alot!

#10 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 07:36

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Plane Ticket ... By andysch on 7 Apr 2008 4 2989 17 Apr 2008
Visa or plane ticket first? ... By cubedweller on 3 Feb 2009 7 4526 5 Feb 2009
How much time to allot for plane transfer in SGN? Penang Marathon? ... By red100 on 4 Nov 2011 7 3123 7 Nov 2011