Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

In the North for a week-Chang Mai AND Pai?

• mtkushnick

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2010

My husband and I will be in northern Thailand for a week. We are trying to figure out if we should stay in Chang Mai for the whole time and take day trips from there or if we should spend a few days in Pai . We have heard that is it beautiful but that anything we do there we can do from Chang Mai. We want to make the most of our time and are concerned that the travel from Chang Mai to Pai may eat up valuable time- at the same time we don't want to miss out on a great experience. Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 00:59

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I don't think you can go wrong either way; staying in Chiang Mai for the entire time with day trips or including a few days in Pai. I suspect the week will fly by in any case and that you'll have a wonderful time.

Pai hasn't received such great reviews lately from some of the folks on Travelfish, who have suggested that it is completely touristed out. But I imagine it depends on the experience you are seeking. I suspect that even with the heavy tourist traffic, it is still lovely there.

Another option you might consider is a side trip to Chiang Dao instead. It is a bit closer, and makes for a great overnight venture out of Chiang Mai. Just an idea. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 10:32

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

A whole week in Chiang Mai! Even after a week you won't have enough of this great town. We were there for four days, fell deeply in love, so go back next year for another five days. There's just more than enough to explore in and around town.

Beside that we explored the Mae Hong Son Loop. We drove through Pai in Feb and it was the least beautiful place of the whole loop. Foggy brown fields, the town very, very, very touristy. If you go a little further, go to Soppong (Pang Mapha), it's so much prettier.
    Spend the night in Soppong River Inn, with its lush garden, great rooms, view on the river from the balcony and delicious soft beds. (No, I'm not paid to say this)

Or Chiang Dao, like Exacto says, we haven't been there, but it's on my list for next year.

#3 Posted: 5/10/2010 - 01:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.