Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Decemeber 2010 for 3 weeks?

• pjaljm2010

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

First of all, i'd like to say hello to everyone on the forums, I've been through a few of them, and this seems to be the one with the nicest people on them, happy to help :-)

I'm new to Thailand forums, as i've been searching endlessly for advice and help really, on my planned trip this year.

Basically, if anyone can give me any advice from previous visits, etc, it would be an excellent help

Me (27) and my girlfriend (21) travel out from London, to Bangkok (landing at 18.30) on the 15th December, and I'll be staying in Thailand until the 5th January.

This is all we have purchased at the moment (Flights with Qatar) and if i'm honest, theres so many places and so many things to do, I'd just like to hear a few of the great times other people have had.

Also, we'll be taking around the 3600GBP amount of money, now I'm led to believe Thailand is inexpensive, but I'm very worried that this amount will not be enough for 3 weeks travel, accommodation, food and drink. We both love to have a party, but the reason why we are going to Thailand (apart from maybe one or two parties) we LOVE beaches, we love the tranquil, and we love to meet new people, and simply have a great time.

We were looking at the train from Bangkok to Koh Samui, has anybody had any experiences with this? 1st Class, Sleep, just seems to cheap at £37 to be 'comfy'. But we are backpacking at the end of the day,

The main questions are, Full Moon Party? Christmas and New Year, where to be? Beaches, Islands? Which are the most beautiful? Any excellent hotels you'd reccomend? Restaurants, Etc.

Im sorry regarding such a long post, but all your positive comments can make our trip perfect.

Thanks for all replies, and you never know, if your about the same place we are, Ill buy you a nice cold beer.

Thank you Paul & Lauren

#1 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey paul and lauren,

if my math is correct, your 3600 GBP works out to over 8,000 thai baht per day. my wife and i did a very comfortable, flashpacker-level 8-week trip on less than the equivalent of 3,000 GBP, so i'd think you'll be fine. there will be plenty of things for you to spend your money, but you won't need to if you don't want to.

in any case, take a look through the thai islands section on the website to get a sense of which island(s) matches your interests. the islands do definitely have different personalities.

also, the money you mention for the first class train sounds about right. it won't be the best night's sleep you ever got, but it will be good enough and fun too. i recommend the first class compartments for the extra privacy, comfort, and security. the train will drop you off in phun phin, which is a bit outside of surat thani, where you'd catch the ferry to samui.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/82

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/57

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/43

#2 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 05:31

• pjaljm2010

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

Thank you for the reply exacto.

Knowing we have enough money, is a great load of our minds, just caanot wait to go now.

As we are going backpacking, we obviously don't have no place we have to be.

Our plan at the minute is

Bangkok 16th - 18th
    Fly to Phuket in the morning of the 18th and stay until 21st
    Then we are going to be looking at travelling around the Phi Phi Islands, staying until 26th December, then heading of to Krabi, where i believe there is a bus which would take us over to Surat Thani where we can get a boat to Koh Samui. A day there and then Koh Tao (where we have been told is the best for Scuba Diving) Till 30th December, where we will then go to Koh Phangan for the NYE party.

After that, we would like to go to Koh Chang and i think is Pattaya around that coast. (Sorry for my Geography if this is incorrect) but then head back on land stopping at Khao Yai National Park and through to Bangkok for our flights home.

I was hoping, that people who have a greater knowledge of Thailand, that this trip is actually possible. and would they change anything (places missed out that are a must see) and easier ways around alll these places.

Thanks in advance for any information given

Paul & Lauren

#3 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 17:39

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

You are mistaken about the diving. The best diving is off the Andaman side of Thailand. This is where you can get to the Similan and Surin Islands which is some of the best diving in the world. Best to do this from Phuket or even better from Khao Lak which is where most of the boats leave from.

I would suggest that you head to Khao Lak after Phuket to go diving. You can go on day trips or a liveaboard for a few days. Khao Lak is only 2 hours North of Phuket (about 70 minutes from the airport). Then head to Phi Phi/Krabi and on to Koh Phangan for NYE.

If you would like information on a few good diving companies in Khao Lak I would be happy to help you out.

#4 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 08:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.