Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

BKK-Ayuthaya-Sukhothai-Chiangmai-BKK (12 days)

• PinkMango

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2010

Hi everyone

I'm heading to Thailand for 12 days for Christmas & New Year. Here's my tentative itinerary appreciate any feedbacks/suggestions.

Bascially to summarize, I'm flying in and out of BKK and spending Xmas & NY there. Will spend 1 night at Ayuthaya, 2 nights in Sukhothai and 3 nights in Chiangmai.

22 Dec - Land in BKK at 515pm
    23 Dec - BKK
    24 Dec - BKK
    25 Dec - Ayuthaya
    26 Dec - Sukhothai
    27 Dec - Sukhothai
    28 Dec - Chiangmai
    29 Dec - Chiangmai
    30 Dec - Chiangmai
    31 Dec - BKK
    1 Jan - BKK
    2 Jan - BKK

I actually can't decide if I should stay in Sukhothai for 1 or 2 nights? Is there anything much to do there?

Please recommend some sights to visit at Ayuthaya/Sukhothai/Chiangmai if you have any.

Many thanks!

#1 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 21:21

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Lots of folks might suggest visiting either Ayutthaya or Sukhothai but not both. They are both worth a visit, but you've got limited time to spend, so unless you are really into the ruins scene, you might save some time that way.

You'll spend half a day getting to Sukhothai and another half day getting from there to Chiang Mai . So if you do Sukhothai, I'd suggest spending at least two nights there so you can have a full day at the old city. The new city has lots of great places to stay and a few good night markets and other hangouts for food and drink. There was also a company offering bicycle tours when I was in Sukhothai last year.

Have you sorted out your return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok yet? The international new year period is an exceptionally busy travel time in Thailand, so you'll want to get your booking sorted as soon as possible. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 23:45

• PinkMango

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2010

Hi Exacto

Thank you for your advice.

My plan was to include Sukhothai as I thought since I am heading up to Chiangmai, I might as well stop over at Sukhothai as it's on the way (I think?).

If i skip Sukhothai, I might be left with many nights in Chiangmai. I actually thought of including a beach resort in my trip but I've just came back from Krabi and been to Phuket and Huahin before as well. Moreover, I think most of the beach resorts are not up north, so might not be on the way to Chiangmai.

Thanks for your reminder to book my flight, I'm planning to fly either Thai Air or Air Asia from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, but yet to book as I'm still trying to sort out which day I should fly back from Chiang Mai.

Many thanks!

#3 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 08:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visit Chiangmai through Sukhothai. A nice stay at Baan Maeyai guesthouse. ... By iamdewi on 5 Apr 2014 0 524 5 Apr 2014