Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

1 month Thailand - include side trip? Laos or Cambodia?

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Hi, will be visiting Thailand after 1 month in vietnam, would you recommend 1 side trip ? can't decide between Laos and Cambodia for 7-10 days...

#1 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 01:10

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think both would give you very different experiences. What sort of thing are you looking for?

#2 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 02:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

both are great places but for different reasons. like lizzy says above, what are you looking to do?

perhaps geography and logistics could help you as well. will you be flying or going overland from vietnam to thailand? any chance you could stop through cambodia or laos en route? if you picked up a thai tourist visa beforehand that would solve the 15-day only visa exemption issue if you arrived in thailand by land.

#3 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 02:10

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Hi, need to start in BKK (meeting boyfriend), then thought of either doing:
    BKK
    Siem Reap
    Phnom Phen
    Chiang Rai+Chiang Mai
    Sukhothai
    Kanchanaburi
    BKK
    Island (already booked - 1 week)

or....

BKK
    Vientiane
    Vang Vieng
    Luang Prabang
    Chiang Rai+Chiang Mai
    Sukhothai
    Kanchanaburi
    BKK
    Island (already booked - 1 week)

or just do Thailand for full month - and explore the North properly.
    a little worried about travel time in Laos....
    what do you think? I like nature, temples not too into VV backpackers scene

#4 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 04:12

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, if you like temples and nature you can just plan to make your way up through Northern Laos into Northern Thailand. Not being into VV you can just skip it and head straight for LP (Vientiane 2days/1night may be enough - and a couple days for LP). From LP you could work your way north to Luang Nam Tha for a day or two of hiking, then cross back into Thailand at Huay Xai to work your way over to Chiang Rai /Chiang Mai.

I believe it should only take a day (a full day) to get form LP to Luang Nam Tha, so with 10 days budgeted to Laos you could do this loop in 9 and have that extra day to get from the boarder over to Chiang Rai . . then down to Chaing Mai . . . and carry on.

#5 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 08:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

since you're keen to visit northern Thailand, i'd say Laos is a better choice than Cambodia simply because of distance and logistics. you could fly to or from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang to save time too if you can afford it.

spending the entire month in Thailand exploring the north isn't such a bad idea either. you'd get to really stretch out and enjoy the places you plan to visit. or there are lots of other great stops to explore as well, including Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Chiang Dao, and Mae Hong Son, just to name a few. have fun. cheers.

#6 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 01:35

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Thanks exacto! might just stay in Thailand - Can you maybe suggest other places to see in the north/ central?
    (will starting and ending in BKK - happy to travel by trains...), ill it be cold during Dec/Jan in the North?

Ayutthaya
    Sukhothai
    Kanchanaburi
    Chiang Mai
    Chiang Rai

I started researching your suggestions as well - Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Chiang Dao, and Mae Hong Son - all sound doable and amamzing !

Will be happy to hear other ideas / routes etc. thanks !

#7 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 14:51

• tonysplace

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010
    Location Thailand

Come and see us here>>>>>>Thai and Western cuisine in Nan,Thailand.We are a friendly family run restaurant in the very north of Thailand serving home produced fresh food from around the globe, cold beers, free campsite with hot water availible.A warm welcome awaits you from Tony and Areewan.

#8 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 12:06

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

It won't be cold in the planes - shorts weather. However, up in the highlands you'll want to pack some trousers and a fleece as the temperature will dip a little in the evening.

From Chiang Mai I can highly recommend the long trek with Pooh Eco Travel - it was an unforgettable experience and far less touristy than the stories I've heard about elephant rides and bamboo rafts. Even if you decided not to go I guess some of the guys at the station will hang out with you as my friends ended up throwing some back with them one evening even though the decided not to take the trek.

#9 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 17:53

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

'plains' - i always find planes cold.

#10 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 17:53

• Advertisement

• rachstex

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

flying to Bangkok in april however flyng out of Singapoor,any reccomendations on how to get to sigapoor under out own steam taking in as much of Vietnam and Laos as possible?

#11 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 03:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1 month trip to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Nixxypie on 27 Apr 2011 7 10796 28 Apr 2011
Friendly 1st-time advice sought for 3 month trip to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia & Viet Nam ... By bobby_gigi on 18 Apr 2011 7 5195 21 Apr 2011
Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice? ... By o_kaija on 2 May 2010 3 3251 4 May 2010
my 3 month trip/motorbike advice vietnam, laos cambodia ... By petethered on 17 Mar 2014 1 1053 17 Mar 2014
Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand a good 3 week holiday to include some tourism, some beach and some party? ... By Mishkaness on 2 Oct 2014 4 404 6 Oct 2014
0ne month in Cambodia/Thailand/Laos ... By kateyb on 23 Jul 2011 6 3317 27 Jul 2011
One month itinerary - Thailand/Laos/Cambodia - Help Please ... By naaz on 7 Aug 2009 12 6539 10 Aug 2009
2 month itinerary - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - What do you think? ... By jthomps on 14 Apr 2010 11 4271 18 Apr 2010
2 - 3 month adventure - Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia! ... By rachel0621 on 19 Aug 2009 16 5967 7 Oct 2009
1 Month in the Far East (Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam - Laos) ... By BaznChaz on 30 Aug 2007 6 19073 8 Sep 2008