Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Good cheap hotel near Khao San Road?

• hannahballoo

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2010

Hello.

I know the Khao San Road is mostly nasty and noisy but I am going to Bangkok with some friends who have never been before and are keen to go there, so : I am looking for a cheap place to stay near enough to the Khao San Road, and preferably not filthy and not so rowdy I have to wrap a jumper round my head to try and sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks !

#1 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 05:35

• Advertisement

• eddyirving

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2009

I stayed at Lamphu House on Soi Rambutree last January, it was a 3 minute walk to Khao San Rd. The rooms were really nice and clean, and it was cheap. Rambutree is a pretty cool street too, a bit more low key than Khao San.

http://www.lamphuhouse.com/default.htm - the website is a bit jumbled for me using Safari though.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 07:53

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Sawasdee Hotel Chain has several places.

http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/

#3 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 10:35

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Lamphu house looks nice. Does the noise from the street carry much? I had vowed never to stay in that area again and usually stay near the airport, but I cracked last year and regretted it as I hardly slept a wink. That looks like somewhere that might make me reconsider...

#4 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 21:25

• eddyirving

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2009

I can't remember ever being annoyed by noise. There is minimal traffic (other than foot) out the front of the hotel, and it is set quite a way back from the road anyway through a little alleyway.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 12:19

• mzzm

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010

I know just the place - Lamphu Tree House: http://www.lamphutreehotel.com/

Super cozy and authentic - definitly one of the best places I have stayed in Bangkok. You can walk to Khao San Road in about 5-7 minutes.

Book in advance, as it is a popular place, highly recommended by users on tripadvisor.

#6 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 16:30

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Of course you are only asking for the Khao San Road area. There are other areas in Bangkok that you can stay in and also get hotels in all price ranges. In the Sukhumvit Road area you can also get hotels in the 600 baht to 850 baht range that have air, hot water, private toilet/shower, TV and maid service. There are even a few hostels available too! One thing you get in the Siam or Sukhumvit Road area is the use of the Skytrain - no Skytrain in the Khao San Road area!

The Skytrain is an overhead rail service that connects many of the areas of the city popular with tourists. The Skytrain also connects to the subway at Asoke, the Ekamai bus terminal and the new Rail Link in the Pratunam area. A very useful form of transportation that is NOT available in the KSR area. But if you are a kid just out of high school or still in college KSR is where those young tourists head for.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

The Skytrain also connects you with MBK, malls in the Siam area, Chatuchak Weekend Market, Patpong Night Market and you can take the Skytrain to the Siam stop or Ratchachewi stop (at Asia Hotel) and walk down to the Pratunam area. On the Skytrain if you continue to the Phaya Thai Skytrain station you can switch to the Phaya Thai Rail Link station (easy walk via a sky bridge) for a cheap ride to the airport. Right now the fare to use the Rail Link to the airport is onlly 15 baht until the end of December.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Asia over the past dozen years, not too many have been so noisy that I could not sleep. If you have a room with air conditioning you have the windows shut, when windows are shut you keep out a lot of the traffic noise. If you can only afford a cheap hostel where there is no A/C and you must have windows open for ventilation - that is a little different!

As far as "nasty" and "filthy" goes, you do have the option of inspecting your room before you agree to stay there. Ask for more than one room to look at and compare the two. My tolerance level must be pretty good because I haven't found too many places over the years that I would reject and I have used a lot of cheap places - but all did have air!

Up to you.

#7 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 00:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
free wifi bangkok guesthouse cheap nice good rent private room hotel Khao san road hostel backpacker ... By bluefinGh on 21 Jun 2014 0 350 21 Jun 2014
Hotel in Bangkok - near Khao San Road ... By beckyflood81 on 20 Dec 2006 3 3629 21 Dec 2006
Good, cheap, Bangkok hotel / hostel ... By adammcintyre on 28 Aug 2012 6 3434 31 Aug 2012
Khao San Road or Not? ... By adbeats06 on 3 Nov 2013 26 1615 10 Nov 2013
Khao San Road ... By Amarusol on 9 Jan 2010 6 4215 24 Apr 2010
Khao San Road hotels ... By halongbay07 on 31 Jul 2009 7 4911 26 Apr 2010
DMK Airport to Khao San Road ... By Vaishali on 29 Dec 2013 8 883 30 Dec 2013
Best way to travel from BKK airport to the Khao San Road ... By PabloUK on 14 Aug 2011 35 15893 24 Jun 2012
Stayin Khao San Road Sunday Eve (1st May) ... By rob_lord_uk on 27 Apr 2010 2 1812 28 Apr 2010
Khao San Road Hostels/Guesthouses ... By crystalrsh on 23 Sep 2013 4 916 26 Sep 2013