Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lomprayah? Safe and worth it?

• hannahballoo

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2010

I am planning to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan on the 29th if December. As I imagine this gets very busy (!!!) we would like to book out seats in advance. The only way to do this seems to be through Lomprayah. I know they are more expensive than getting regular buses, but can anyone tell me if they are actually any more luxurious (?) than the government buses that run the same routes? Also, there is a post about theft on VIP buses, has anyone had problems with theft on the pricier Lomprayah routes? I would be really grateful for any advice from anyone who has used Lomprayah! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 06:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

They are a bit more comfortable - marginally so. Arriving on Ko Pha Ngan on the 29th I'd be more concerned about getting a room than a bus ticket!

Have not heard much about theft on Lomprayah buses -- but always keep an eye on your gear.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 09:17

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I have travelled on Lomprayah boats quite a few times - big fast boat, gets a bit bumpy in choppy seas but I have never felt unsafe. Can get crowded - so yes, book way ahead.
    I have only travelled their linked bus from the coastal pier the 30km into Chumpon, but it was a nice comfortable bus.
    There have been lots of posts praising the service from Bangkok on various forums - this is one outfit not known for luggage theft etc. If I was travellling Bangkok to the southern Gulf islands I'd pick them without hesitation.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 15:27

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

If you're worried why not take the train? No worries of theft there.

#4 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 08:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.