Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Lipe: looking for info

• JaimeJeldes

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2008
    Location United States

October 18, 2010: Hello, has anyone stayed on Ko Lipe? Will be there mid- November for only three nights total. Anyone want to recommend a place to stay? Budget isn't a big deal; can pay 4,000ThBht / night; but, prefer to pay less then 2,000ThBht / night as long as the place is clean; prefer air con & near a cleaner beach; good views are all ways a plus. Does anyone know about snorkeling visibility on this island during the middle of November? Does one side of the island better have better visibility for snorkeling during mid-Novmeber?

#1 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 16:47

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Jaime,

Ko Lipe is a great little island - especially for snorkeling! November is right on the edge between the end of the wet season and the dry season, but by mid-month it should be pretty clear. As long as it hasn't been raining the visibility is excellent. When I was there one of the first things that struck me was how crystal clear the water is.

With your budget you have lots of options for accommodation. When I was there it was high season and I stayed at the Fisheries Bungalows for a couple nights because it was the only place with an available room! After that I moved across to the National Park Bungalows on Ko Adang (a 5 minute long-tail boat ride away) which were really nice and secluded.

The Travelfish accommodation reviews are a great place to start for choosing a guesthouse. Ko Lipe is a really small island so you can walk to any beach in under 10 minutes, but I think Sunrise Beach is the nicest one --

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/southern_thailand/satun/ko_lipe/all

#2 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 19:34

• JaimeJeldes

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2008
    Location United States

Thanks so much for taking the time to read & reply to my post:) followed your idreamofdurian link to your blog. Not a blogger myself yet; but, have been thinking of doing so recently. Enjoyed your ode to the "finder of holes in your celing" LOL...they are indeed clever little fellows ^_-! Like the idea of seclusion immensely & will look into your recommendations, thoroughly. Thanks again Tanya^_^much appreciated.

#3 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 22:50

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I was on Lipe again last November late - that time of year the easterlies can get a bit blustery which makes Pattaya Beach the sheltered one - I found water clarity and snorkelling real good.
    I stay down budget from you - but there are some pretty nice upmarlet places on Pattaya. Some nicer ones over on Andaman which is exposed on blustier days (quite a few days are not like this) - but it is a relatively short walk from Andaman to Pattaya if you decide to pick one of the nicer places there.

#4 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 15:14

• JaimeJeldes

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2008
    Location United States

Thanks Tezza:) btw, looked at your blogspot.com url...lots of good info there; especially with regards to rip currents! Thanks again for your time; VERY appreciated.
    Jaime

#5 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 21:54

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

You shouldn't have any trouble with rip currents on Lipe in November, Jaime.
    I did find a tidal current moving south-west around the south-east corner of the island at Viewpoint's nicer southern beach - but it was out a fair distance off the beach where the reef drop-off is, and did not appear to be real strong despite being mid-tide when tidal currents tend to be stronger.

#6 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 05:40

• JaimeJeldes

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2008
    Location United States

Excellent! And from what I can see and have read, Ko Lipe is pretty small; so, shouldn't be too big of deal to walk from one beach to another if the visibility is not so good in whatever area we try out...

#7 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 08:08

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

@ Tezza - You are right about that exact spot: a middle-aged, average fitness guy told me he got caught in it and thought his number was up (I'm not waving, I'm drowning type senario with the longtails going past!) but managed to drift back to the rocks

#8 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 21:18

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Yeah, the old swim sideways trick is always the go if caught in any ocean current you can't swim against. Mind you, I have rock-hopped those rocks past Viewpoint - nearly killed myself.
    http://readerstripretports.blogspot.com/2010/02/readers-trip-reports-ko-lipe.html

#9 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 17:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Lipe - info please! ... By ehartley on 22 Apr 2013 4 1961 24 Apr 2013