Thailand forum

How much does your apt cost per month?

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Sawasdee,

I'm tired of moving around all the time like a nomad vagabond. So very tired. I want to just plop myself down in one spot for a month and chill out. I'm in Phuket, and my needs are simple:

I want to:

1. be near a beach I can swim in.
    2. have an apartment free of both roach and lizard.
    3. have a hot water shower (bath a bonus)
    4. have a fridge and furniture like a double bed, and of course air con.
    5. have wi-fi of atleast 1-3mbps

Pretty simple needs. For this I will pay up to 7.5k a month.

I've seen a few places around the edge of Patong that seem to fit this description, and I know one in Chalong, but I'm curious to know what everyone else pays.

Also speaking of living arrangements, Madmac - did you choose your place near the border of Laos so you could do visa runs quickly?

#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 15:21

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You will never be free of lizards and roaches. I live on the 7th floor of a Singapore high-rise and still get them. The roaches are nasty for obvious reasons, but what do you have against the lizards (other than the turds they leave on the ceiling)?

The only long-term places I know of are in Phuket Town, which is probably a bit too far from the beach for your likings. I used to live in Thung Song, Nakhon Sri Thammarat and paid about 3,000B per month for a place matching your description (minus the hot water), but that's way out in the boonies.

#2 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 17:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Got to agree with Idream - Geckos, Mosquitos, roaches and ants are just part of living in Thailand. I fight a valiant rear guard action against the latter three, but leave the Geckos alone as they eat Mosquitos and otherwise don't bother anything.

I moved here because my wife is from Yaso and I don't particularly like it there. I like Muk - nice town. It was that simple. I also like Khon Kaen and NKP.

#3 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 17:32

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

To be honest guys, I kind of like the geckos. We don't have lizards like that in Aus, and I find their quirky movements endearing. Roaches I don't care for. Same same mosquitos. I had three very poor night's of sleep in Penang due to mosquito activity in an aging guesthouse.

But I have spent time in apartments that seem immune to these little critters, so I don't think it's inevitable to have to put up with them.

I found a place in Patong for 7.5k per month today, but they want a hefty 5k deposit and bills aren't included, so... well, after copping a fine for having a drivers license without a little 'm' for motorcycle on it tonight, I'm pretty jaded against Patong and it's greedy little Police force. Give me the stix with its lacklustre enforcement of silly rules any day.

#4 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 23:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"But I have spent time in apartments that seem immune to these little critters, so I don't think it's inevitable to have to put up with them."

Well, in three years here I've never heard of such a place, but perhaps they do exist. Good luck finding one.

As for the cops, everything I've heard is that Bangkok and south of Bangkok the police are not very chilled out. Here, as long as you don't kill anyone, no worries.

#5 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 02:48

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

With the exception of the roaches, most of the other animals are just part of the staff. Lizards eat the bugs, ants keep the tables clean, dogs are garbage disposals and food on the floor cleaners, cats help keep the rat population down, etc. :) Like Madmac, I have an ongoing war with the ants though. Especially the red ones. I think they like white meat. The wife can sit on a fence and they'll go around her. I get within 20ft of a tree and they fly through the air to get me.
    Idream...They do crap a lot, don't they. I had a lizard fall off the ceiling and land on my chest one night while in bed watching TV. Talk about a runaway. It would have made for a good Utube video.

#6 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 07:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

" I had a lizard fall off the ceiling and land on my chest one night while in bed watching TV."
    Neosho, I'll see you your lizard, and raise you three roaches.

1. Sitting on the loo once, I found one in my undies! (I think he crawled out from under the toilet seat when I sat down). My sister nearly wet herself when she heard my screeches. I don't think the language was very pretty either.

2. I woke up in bed once to a cockroach dancing on my back somewhere in Indonesia. I was careful to tuck in the mozzie net every night after that.

3. I woke up to a tickling on my leg. LIfted up the blankets and there was a bit fat meaty roach crawling around on my leg. This was back in NZ. I calmly got up, and flushed him away. I don't screech any more..... I just curse the little b&stards!

#7 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 09:13

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I pulled a gecko off my neck while driving a bike down a hill at high speed coming into Patong. Sometimes they stowaway.

Also had about three roaches swarm me on an otherwise peaceful night at a not so clean guesthouse. Nothing like that creepy crawly feeling you get just as you realise there's something alive scampering up your neck.

#8 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 09:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My house is actually very clean. I own a shop house, and the drains are filtered to keep vermin out (rats were coming up as well before we applied the filters). So I don't get any roaches anymore, because I have eliminated their entry point into the house. The geckos (two of them - I ought to name them) have lived here seemingly since I have. I just leave them alone.
    Ants still infiltrate however. They are a determined aggressor, and I have had to launch numerous ethnic cleansing campaigns to exterminate them ruthlessly.

#9 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 12:44

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I was horrified to discover my fave room at a Patong Guesthouse was overrun with mosquitos and ants, so I've headed back to the Chalong apartment which seems to be relatively vermin free. There was a rather sinister looking grasshopper *** sparrow thing in the stairwell just now but he won't be allowed inside.

#10 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 18:26

• Advertisement

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

@ Cranky "I'm tired of moving around all the time like a nomad vagabond" But you haven't left Phuket yet!!!!

If we are talking critters I was looking at a frog whilst sat on the loo on Lipe as a geko landed on my head. In Sumatra, after counting 13 cockroaches revealing themselves throughout the night, I found out I had slept on a matress under which contained a nest of about 50 roaches (I actually cried after that.....well my lovely camera had been stolen as well, I'm sure that wasn't the roaches doing, but you never know what with 50 of them on the job!)

#11 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 21:27

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Tennouji - "you haven't even left Phuket yet!"

Nonsense! I traveled across Southern Thailand just last week - through Krabi and down to Had Yai. Then I left the whole country, crossing the border into Butterworth, then on to rickety ol' Georgetown, where I immersed myself in the local cuisine, eating nowt but hamburgers for a week.

Granted all this was so I could score an extra 60 days in my precious Phuket from the Thai embassy/consulate/whatever the smaller outposts are referred to as, but nonetheless I did leave Phuket.

Then the new visa came through and I hopped a 2nd class bus back to Phuket Town. Now that was an experience.

The Chalong joint I've settled on is tidy, "beast"* free and just a hop skip and a jump to either Nai Harn or Kata beach. Wi-fi's in the stairwell, but that should be rectified in the next couple of weeks.

Looks like that high season weather is kicking in too now. Shame really, I find the sound of rain on the roof relaxing.

*A middle aged woman with a thick Eastern European accent was curious about the conditions of a guesthouse I was staying in in Pinang. "Clean rooms, yes? Any beast?"

"Just me," I answered, with a wry smile.

Lol, beast. That's priceless.

#12 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 10:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.