Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand 3 weeks on limited budget

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Hi, so basically i will be arriving in Thailand through the Huay Xai border crosiing between Laos and Thailand. I have gone through money a bit fast (I'm in Cambodia at the moment) so will need to keep things cheap. I also will hve a little less time than planned, instead of a month i will have 2 1/2- 3 weeks- so I'll have to come back again!
    I woud like to do a cooking course in Chiang Mai, spend a few days on the beaches and have a couple days in Bangkok to do my christmas shopping before flying home. Because I fly back from Bangkok and have limited money to spend on travel i don't want to go too far south on the beach hunt- so not to Phuket etc. Can anyone recommend any beaches a little further north, and a few key pplaces to see? Many thanks, Danielle

#1 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 14:44

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ko Samet is the nearest nice island to Bangkok and has the added advantage of usually being the driest island in Thailand this time of year. Do a search of travelfish for more info.

#2 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 15:17

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

We had three weeks in Laos and was able to spend a week in the area around Chiang Mai, then down to Bangkok overnight bus, that morning (a little groggy) we caught a bus the 8 hours south to Ko Chang . Spent the next two weeks bouncing around those islands (Ko Chang, Ko Mak, Ko Wai) and had a blast. Feel like I saved money by not spending too much time in Bangkok - but to break up the journey you could always stop off for a night or two in bangkok on your way down to Ko Chang - though you'd probably want wait to tailend your trip there so that you aren't in a rush to get back for your flight.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 15:41

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    The cheapest beach place would be Pattaya (not everyone's choice I know!! - but it is cheaper than Koh Chang) with many options for accommodation.
    In Bangkok I stay near Lumpini Park, ( Lee guest house) this area I've found cheaper than Khoa San Road and also it is on the metro.
    In general terms with the Thai Baht at 45 to the GBP and 30 to the $ Thailand is not cheap any more!!

#4 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 18:44

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

If you can face a 6-7 hour bus ride south of Bangkok then Bang Saphan has a fair few bungalows around the 250-400 mark. I'd recommend Lola's. I think I paid 250. It's not as beautiful as the southern resort, but it is quite charming. Bus from the Southern terminal.

Samet is very convenient, but is getting more and more expensive.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 19:29

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Pattaya is the cheapest close beach to Bangkok. Hotels are cheaper than Bangkok and Phuket. Easy to get to from Bangkok by cheap bus from Ekamai bus terminal, under 120 baht for the 2 hour ride on VIP bus.

Beaches in other areas are better than Pattaya. In Pattaya you can use the beach for sunbathing but tourists usually use hotel pools or go to Koh Larn Island, Jomtien or Naklua. Each year more and more family groups and single women and women traveling in groups go to Pattaya because it is good value for the money. But, some people are turned off by the nightlife. Local transportation is only 10 baht in Pattaya. Compare that to paying an arm and leg in Phuket!

From Bangkok you can use the overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai if you want. There are some cooking schools in Bangkok too.

One thing you have to straighten out first! If you have a 60 day free visa no problem. But if you are expecting to get 30 days free entry by coming overland - better re-think that! Overland you get 15 days only!
    http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

Good luck.

#6 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 23:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Limited stops in Thailand, where to go??? ... By krazymary8 on 29 Sep 2009 2 1459 30 Sep 2009
Budget Help for Five weeks in Thailand. ... By lm_w on 8 Jun 2009 4 3845 7 Jul 2009
thailand travel budget six weeks ... By cross83 on 27 May 2009 11 10066 10 Jun 2009
budget question (4 weeks thailand, X?) ... By erzo on 4 Nov 2008 3 2576 5 Nov 2008
Budget advice needed! 4 weeks yunnan, vietnam and thailand ... By s0908946 on 14 Mar 2011 0 4433 14 Mar 2011