Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Poda Resort, Krabi - anyone stayed?

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Very early in the morning, I hired a boat to take me from Tonsai beach to Ko Poda and it was quiet and lovely until about 11am. I noticed a small resort and some slightly rundown looking bungalows that seemed to have no guests. This is apparently Ko Poda Resort and may or may not be run by the national park authority.

I thought this would be a lovely place to spend a couple of days (the middle of the day would be an assault of snorkelling but that's OK). I know the restuarant does a roaring lunch trade but it seems they only do walk in bookings. I guess a travel agency in Ao Nang would be the best place to book if I didn't want to risk getting over and finding they they no longer have people staying?

I probably should have tried to find out when I was there, but I was too busy looking at the sea!

#1 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 09:14

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Wow, last I heard to bungalows on Ko Poda were being run by one of the better Ao Nang resorts. Does a Google search show up anything?

#2 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 16:55

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan

Hi Tezza.

Extensive googling led me to most of the above! I was there in Dec 2008 so it may well have changed, but it didn't look particularly posh or anything. Andaman Island Hopper said a few years ago that they have stopped recommending it due to people not getting what they were expecting, but I noticed on their site they are suggesting 2010 prices as 1,100 Bht. The long boat guys I asked didn't have a clue (which I thought was strange as they must go over all the time on day trips) but they suggested 800.

Which Ao Nang place did you hear was running it?

#3 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 19:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Sorry, can't remember the name, it was a fair time back. I think it was that nice big place just north off the corner of beach road where it turns to go up the hill over to Noppharet Thara. Is that Krabi Resort?
    Funny thing - on my very first visit to Ao Nang last century some guys down near the beach were handing out flyers for their new bungalows out on Ko Poda - at bargain introductory rates. All I wanted to do was stay on Railay. I've kicked myself since.
    Listen, if you can find out anything more please update us - I reckon at 1100 a night it may be worth the risk for me to try a night or two.

#4 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 09:18

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

mmmm - just checked the website http://www.kohpoda.com/koh-poda-accommodation.php - the bungalows certainly aint whelming - maybe a step or five down from what you'd expect from a non-elcheapo hotel. And maybe 600 worth, not 1100. All the same, location location location - I'd pay 1100 just for the experience of overnighting on the island.

#5 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 09:30

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan

Hi Tezza, I got this reply from yourkrabi.com:

"Thanks for your email. As far as I know there is no longer any bungalow resort on Koh Poda. There are still a few bungalows there, yes, but they were officially shut down by the National Park a few years back (illegal operation).

It may be that the people who run the restaurant there are somehow opening them up for tourists who pay them money, but I don't really know about this. And if this were happening it would definitely be a case of turning up there and asking - no advance booking!"

So, there we go. I guess I'll check it out in a month or so.

#6 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 13:06

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Thanks, useful info.

#7 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 16:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Does anybody had stayed in Phangan Utopia Resort and Green Papaya Resort? ... By wailing1 on 29 Oct 2006 1 1639 30 Oct 2006
Nimmanoradee Boutique Resort, Ko Samet, stayed or dropped by? ... By Tennouji on 6 Jul 2009 1 3142 25 Sep 2009