Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Solo Women Traveller

• LouLou73

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

I've already travelled to Thailand & Vietnam alone four years ago. Now as a 37 year old woman I'm thinking of travelling to Thailand again for a few weeks in Nov/Dec - again alone. I need people to remind me that it's easy to travel in Thailand alone...... but as 37 year old woman worried I'll be out of place.....

Am I just having an anxiety attack??? Help!

Plan is to go to one or two islands and chill out and mabye to cambodia/Angkor Wat for a few days.

#1 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 13:31

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I don't think you will have a problem traveling alone. Lots of women do it. Besides, you are more experienced than novice tourists trying Thailand for the first time. I have run across women much older than you traveling alone and having a ball doing it!

You might have landed at Don Muang last visit there is a new airport since then - Suvarnabhumi. Excellent transportation from the airport to the city in all price ranges until midnight then only meter taxis. Just recently they opened up a new rail service from the airport to the Pratunam area. If you have a hotel near the last two stops you may even just be able to walk to your hotel. The last stop of the Rail Link also connects to the Skytrain overhead rail service. If you have a hotel near that rail service you can get into the city for cheap! Right now no rail service after midnight.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

If you need any hotel recommendations also mention a price range. Don't skip Bangkok, see the city for a while and catch up on things. Meter taxis in the city start at 35 baht, a real steal compared to Europe or the US. Remember to only use the meter and the ride is cheaper.

You shouldn't have any problems. Remember to notify your bank if you intend to use a debit card in Thailand. In case you forgot travelers checks are easy to cash too. One thing that also changed since your last visit is that there is a 150 baht surcharge for ATM withdrawals so take out the most you can at one time to cut down on fees. When you visit Cambodia remember to change any of their money back to dollars or Thai baht or something else because no one wants Cambodian money once you leave that country.

Go for it!

#2 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 07:03

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Hi. I'm also 37 and have travelled alone in Thailand plenty of times. Thinking about my next trip now when I really should be getting on with my MSc! If you've had a few years "out" (as it were) you can beceome a little paranoid. I imagaine that you'd only feel out of place if you go to an island that is popular with youngsters or gap year students.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 20:07

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Hi. I'm also 37 and have travelled alone in Thailand plenty of times. Thinking about my next trip now when I really should be getting on with my MSc! If you've had a few years "out" (as it were) you can beceome a little paranoid. I imagaine that you'd only feel out of place if you go to an island that is popular with youngsters or gap year students.

#4 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 20:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've been backpacking since my mid-20's, which is 20+ years now. I like the fun and the adventure of it so much I've never thought to switch to another style of travel.

Anyway, I felt funky at first too as I got older, thinking I'd be out of place in a 20-something world. But when I looked around, I noticed that there were all ranges and ages of people, from GAP year to retired, and even couples with children.

I've also noticed that when I'm travelling by myself it is much easier to meet folks than when I'm travelling with mates. On this last trip, I met great folks in their 20's and in their 60's and everywhere in between. I love the flexibility and independence of travelling by myself and maybe just meeting folks for dinner or drinks or whatever. But if you are keen to meet folks, then the common room of a guest house or day trip tours are good opportunities. You'll also often meet people on those long-haul bus trips, since, as they say, misery loves company.

Go and have a wonderful time. You'll be great. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 22:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm 50 and I travel alone in Thailand all the time. It's easy, people are pretty friendly, and it's reasonably safe. Go and have a good time.

#6 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 13:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The bus from hell Vientiane to Hanoi- has anyone done it and is it safe for solo women? ... By suswati37 on 7 Dec 2009 30 17286 11 Mar 2012