Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Islands - Help finding the best fit?

• FrostedFlak-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Hey all -

We're hoping that you could give my wife and I some advice. We are currently doing some long term travel here in South East Asia. During our time here in Thailand one of our friends is comming to visit us for about 7 days. He would like it to be longer but with his work it's just not possible. Our plans have always been to take it slow and just go where the wind blows us but with our friend visiting we're looking for somewhere very special during that period of time.

Our ideal location would be a small backpacker type beach side town with great cheap food, drinks, and accomodations (up to 1200 baht per night). Not somewhere over crowded with tourists but somewhere a little off the beaten path. A place with a nice beach and access to other islands, snorkeling, etc. is a must. A couple places that have come up are Koh Lanta and Trang.

Does anyone have any suggestions on islands/towns we should look at?

Thanks in advance,

FF
    Does

#1 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 16:07

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi there - my suggestion (based on my experiences so far) would be to maybe split the time between Koh Kradan and Koh Muk. You can easily get to these via Trang. Koh Kradan is very quiet with beautiful clear water, good snorkelling, etc. There are a few places to stay, but I would suggest Paradise Lost (run by Wally). Search on this forum as there has been lots of info posted about it.

Koh Muk I also like as there's just a little bit more to do. There are a range of places to stay (budget to high end), lovely tracks to go exploring on, interesting villages to walk through, etc.

#2 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 17:22

• FrostedFlak-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2010

Thanks busylizzy! It took us a while to get back online - amazing how WiFi was free throughout Vietnam and Cambodia but in thailand that:s not the case.

We checked out both islands and we (my wife and I) will probably make a stop on one or both. Turned out we had the dates a bit mixed and we actually had less time than originally thought for the islands so we went to koh Lanta because it was so easy to get to. We had a fantastic time though, great beach, amazing sunset, restaurants on the beach and found a great deal for a room.

Thanks again for the help!

FF

#3 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 10:22

• faineg

Click here to learn more about faineg
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 2

Koh Lanta is absolutely superb. Glad you had a good time as well!

#4 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 12:12

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ko Kradan meets your asks best IMHO.
    Lanta is a nice island but snorkelling off the beach is not great.

#5 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 17:43

• sonnymav5a

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

#6 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 16:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.