Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

February 2011...budget/transportation?

• molocono

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2010

Looking to spend a month in Thailand during February. Doing BKK, Chiang Mai, and islands. How much am I looking to budget for expenses? I'm good with hostels and ground transport is ok. What would be the best way to travel around the country given the length of my stay? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 22:37

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

during my last trip (Dec '09-Jan '10) i averaged about US $30-$35 per day for the four weeks i was travelling by myself. that was about 1200 baht/day back then; it would only be 1000 baht a day or so now with current exchange rates.

anyway, that was what i'd called Flashpacker-level accommodation at about 350-400 baht per day out of Bangkok and 600 baht a day or so in Bangkok; first-class air con buses when available and second-class air con when not available, and overnight sleeper trains for long-haul trips, like BKK to Chiang Mai and BKK to down south.

(for shorter-haul trips, the bus will likely be your best choice. they are cheap, plentiful, and usually pretty good for the shorter trips)

that budget included a mix of off-the-street noodles meals and some nice sit-down meals, daily internet, a beer or two, and a few massages every week. if you've got more money, you could easily add in tours and extra massages and more beer or whatever too.

hope that helps. have fun. cheers.

#2 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 23:09

• molocono

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2010

exacto, that's exactly the same trip I'm envisioning. Thanks for the info!

#3 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 23:13

• molocono

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2010

Should I book my accommodations in advance...or try to get something when I arrive then?

#4 Posted: 30/10/2010 - 04:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

this question comes up quite a bit, so if you have a look around on the message board, you'll find lots of good ideas on when to book ahead and when not to.

personally, i typically only book ahead for the first night or two in country, particularly after a long-haul flight, or if i know i'll be arriving after dark.

apart from that however, i usually don't book ahead unless there is a specific place where i want to stay. plus, many really good backpacker-style places don't take reservations anyway, so you couldn't book ahead even if you wanted.

what you can do to reduce the chore of finding a place once you arrive is to do a bit of research, determine in which part of town (in Chiang Mai, for example) or which beach on which island you'd like to stay. then select two or three options that look pretty good to you from the descriptions and visitor feedback, and head there first. works for me anyway.

#5 Posted: 30/10/2010 - 04:49

• marrie11

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

Whether you travel by plane, boat, train, bus or car, Budget Travel can help. Don't spend all your travel budget on transportation.We offer personal and professional Airport Transportation and Cabs service in Phoenix, Scottsdale and Mesa.Budget transportation in Sihanoukville. Motorcycles, Tuk Tuks, electric and pedal bikes.
    Florida Warehousing

#6 Posted: 22/10/2011 - 18:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Surabaya and Malang, 24-27 February 2011 ... By almostcool on 1 Feb 2011 0 1549 1 Feb 2011
34y male from Munich, around in Thailand february 2011 ... By ReoPro on 16 Jan 2011 0 1466 16 Jan 2011