Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Fantastic food in Pai

• jonathanh

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2010

Ok so if you are in Pai make sure you check out The Curry Shack, it is by far the best Thai food I have ever had, the Tom Yum Gai is unbelievably good!! It's located just off Chaisongkram Road opposite Wat Pa Khram, just look for the sign on the telegraph pole. The restaurant is owned and run by Lee, a man who looks deciptively young for his age, must be all the good food! It's a small six table affair set up in what I imagine was once a car park space and the kitchen is set up in the garage, but don't be put off by the ramshackle nature of the restaurant, this all adds to the authenticity of the experience. If your in the area and want a cheap fantastic meal make sure to drop in.

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 16:33

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

How's the nightlife in Pai? Is the place still over-run with tourists, or has it somewhat fallen off the map?

#2 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 22:29

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Frankly speaking, I found Pai is just a bypass town. Nothing really to shout for. As the food, I can find better in ChiangMAi and even Mae Hong Son.
    But it's true that this town is good for relaxation. One or Two days will be sufficient! Check out my Northern Thai blog for more info. http://sunnyhor.blogspot.com/

#3 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 17:43

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Frankly speaking, I found Pai is just a bypass town. Nothing really to shout for. As the food, I can find better in ChiangMAi and even Mae Hong Son.
    But it's true that this town is good for relaxation. One or Two days will be sufficient! Check out my Northern Thai blog for more info. http://sunnyhor.blogspot.com/

#4 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 17:43

• jonathanh

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2010

I was in Pai about a month ago, so it was still the quiet season so by my standards it was quite pleasant, but i have heard that its gets really overrun in the busy season, as for the nightlife it was quite tame, there are a few nice bars to chill out and have a few tasty beverages in. It is mostly tourists alright, but Thai tourists, there are a few westerners floating around the place too though. We found two late bars, the 'don't cry' bar one and some other one right next to it, both seem pretty cool... From what i have seen it hasn't been overrun by young westerners yet, so there isn't an abundance of cheesy bars and clubs playing crap dance music, which is a definite plus in my opinion!! Definitely worth checking out....

#5 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 17:52

• Tribalfunk

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2010
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 2

I loved Pai! It was nice just to get away from the hustle and bustle of Chiang Mai and just relax with a book at Coffee in Love. The views are lovely and the people are amazing. I don't remember what it's called, but there was a vegetarian restaurant that served the most divine Papaya pad thai. Yes, papaya! They used green papaya instead of noodles and it was delicious! Also, there is a tiny little tea house close to Unicorn guest house that makes the greatest cup of chai tea.

#6 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 00:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The place sounds OK, if a little on the different side. If I get to that neck of the woods on my chopper, I'll definitely give it a look.

#7 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 10:38

• erd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Pai has beautiful cool air in the evening and very peaceful, scenic surrounds. It also often attracts a different type of Farang resident, business owner & tourist....

Not sure which is more amusing: the pseudo-Hippies, pseudo- New Age - health nuts or pseudo- Rasta boys from the south. They all share a common trait by having selected a costume in which to extract money out of Pai's Farang visitors.

Pai's worth a visit just to see these bad actors & their gullible clientele in action.

(Pai also has many businesses quietly catering mostly to Thais who's owners are too busy working to play dress-up).

#8 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 15:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.