Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best way to get to Koh Lanta

• chrigu

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2010

Hi guys,

I will arrive at BKK on the last November weekend. After 1 or 2 days I want to go to Koh Lanta. What do you recommend me to do this? Flight? By train? Thanks for your help.

Chrigu

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 23:20

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

The quickest ( and not necessarily expensive) way is to fly. Flights are with Air Asia or Thai Airways. Then catch a taxi or minibus on to Ko Lanta.

The other main route is to take an overnight train from B'kok to Surat Thani, then by bus to Krabi . You can then catch either the ferry or minibus as above. This is cheaper, more time consuming - but more of an experience. You can buy through tickets as combination train and bus ticket combined.

Finally its possible to take a bus from B'kok to Krabi. Less comfortable than the train, but it is direct and gets you into Krabi early morning - much earlier than the overnight train/bus combo.

Which is best ? I've kind of done all 3 - though the bus was only from Prachuap Khiri Khan (about 5 hrs south of Bangkok) to Krabi - done overnight. Well - in a rush the plane is best. The train is probably the most romantic and favoured by many travellers - though was a long journey. The bus is the least comfortable (though not that bad), though is cheap and direct. Mainly Thais on the bus.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 00:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Flights on Air Asia to Krabi one-way can be booked as cheaply as 1300-1800b online (check for a Promo fare) and add to that the price of a taxi or airport link since you'll already be in town.

Train travel is slow but kind of a mini-adventure. Too bad the train line doesn't run near Krabi or Lanta, so you'd have to transfer from Surat Thani (Phunphin actually) where you run the risk of getting one of those crappy tourist buses where theft is not uncommon, or they drop you in front of some travel agents where you're strong-armed into buying their tickets/trips. I just hate that and it happens a lot with the tourist buses down south.

If you want the cheapest most direct relatively safe way without flying, take a government-licensed bus from Sai Tai Mai (Bangkok's southern bus termninal) to Krabi, then a ferry or minivan to Ko Lanta. Lanta ferries should start operating today or otherwise soon, and there's always the minivan option which takes a couple hours from Krabi, but ferries are more fun.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 08:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.