Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 weeks Central+North highlights - please help...

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Hi, I'm starting my 4 weeks trip in Bangkok, already booked few days @ koh phangan and 2 nights in BKK at the end of the trip. I plan to spend first 3 weeks exploring central+north Thailand. Prefer not to fly, take it easy, spend time in places and not rush...
    managed to put a list together of placed i'd like to see, can you please help me with the order? is it all too much? def want to spend few days @ Kanchanaburi . Can I skip ayutthaya and head straight to sukhothai ? (not sure how easy onward travel from Kanchanaburi will be...)

Bangkok

Nakhon Pathom

Kanchanaburi (3 day/2 night tour) ?

Sangkhlaburi (?)

Ayutthaya

phitsanulok / transfer to sukhothai

chiang mai

Mae Hong Son (www.cavelodge.com)

Chiang Dao (?)

Chiang Rai (by boat?)

Thank you so much!!

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 23:48

• Advertisement

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

Spend enough time in Chiang Mai, if you want to take it easy, take at least five days. We've been there 4 nights and going back for another 5. It's such a lovely town, and lots to do in and around.
    Mae Hong Son area is beautiful, we've had lunch at Cavelodge ( Soppong ) and the food is great. We stayed at Soppong River Inn, and if you're not on a too tight budget I would definitely recommend that. The rooms are the best, so is the staff and the food.

We also been to Kanchanaburi , stayed a night in town, a night at the river at Nam Tok and 3 nights at Jungle Rafts. This area is worth exploring for more than a few days and if we had more time, we would have gone to Sanghklaburi, I think is must be gorgeous out there.

Go to Kanchanaburi by train from Thonburi Station in Bangkok, it's a great journey. We traveled all the way to Nam Tok, and when you get of the train you meet Tip, she offers you the best rooms on the river (but she also has a cheap guesthouse)
    From Kanchanaburi you can go everywhere, Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Sukhotai, by minibus or aircon bus. In less than 3 hours you'll be back in Bangkok, we did it and took the plane to our next destination. It all takes time, travelling in Thailand is not fast, but for us travelling is part of the journey.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 04:48

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Noakess,

I can advise you on The North part. You can't simply miss it. If you prefer not to fly, do it this way. Make BKK the central location of your trip.

Buy a night train from BKK to Chiang Mai, upon reaching in CM, it will be a morning.Take a stroll at their local market like Kad Luang (Warorot market), and get a guest house for 1 or 2 hours for refreshment and shower. Waste no more time, hire a car from any city or the Airport. Drive up all the way North. You will hit many nice scene and if you choose the Pai direction, you can stay a night there and continue your trip to Mae Hong Son. You won't regret this sort of travel, it's adventurous. And there are lot's and lot's of place to go in Mae Hong Son. Check out my Northern Thai tour and it might give you a little help. You can contact me via my email if you need more information of NorthernThai. Enjoy!

#3 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 17:51

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

Forget to paste my Blog's link......... http://sunnyhor.blogspot.com/

#4 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 17:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
North or Central ... By himji on 3 Dec 2010 2 971 5 Dec 2010
Flooding in North and Central Vietnam ... By niko on 9 Nov 2008 2 1559 9 Nov 2008
BKK - Central - North and on to Laos (and back to BKK) - help? ... By noakess on 11 Oct 2010 2 1269 18 Oct 2010
Weather in North - Central Vietnam in early March? ... By guyedwin on 10 Feb 2009 1 2106 17 Feb 2009
Trekking/cycling tour in central/north Vietnam - recommendations? ... By mamaamis on 1 Mar 2010 0 2068 1 Mar 2010