Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Where to go in Phuket?

Posted by DomesticG on 1/11/2010 at 00:13

Am considering to bring the folks to Phuket for a short weekend getaway.

I would like to bring them for a day or 2 of snorkelling, maybe a cooking class, a jungle or waterfall day trip?

I'm sick of Patong (never liked that place), where else do you suggest I can stay? I loved Phi Phi Island, but I've been there way too many times & would like a change. I've only been to Karon & Kata on the motor bike and left thats all. I'm not sure if I wanna stay around Karon or Kata. (I think there's still a lot of ladyboys bar around that too?) Or maybe I could go to an island to stay. Where else other than Phi Phi??

My mom loved Krabi when we were there! So I'm hoping she will like Phuket too.

#1 DomesticG has been a member since 3/6/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by exacto on 1/11/2010 at 06:55

what about heading a bit north to Khao Lak or Takua Pa? there also used to be some liveaboard snorkel trips for two or three days out of that general area and over to the Similan Islands. i still think the cruises in Phang Nga bay are spectacular too.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,630
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 1/11/2010 at 12:20 TF writer

My favorite is Kamala Beach -- it's got all the amenities without being overly touristy.

There's also a couple islands near Phuket like the Coral and Racha. The Coral Island Resort is reasonably priced and the beach is gorgeous, and Racha is more upscale but more isolated.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by husun on 1/11/2010 at 21:19

Koh Samui will be my recommendation. Phuket is very "touristy". Regardless of Patong , Karon or Kata. It's still the same. Had been to Phuket many ten times and the next time I plan for a beach vacation, I will skip this place.

#4 husun has been a member since 28/10/2010. Location: Japan. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.