Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Hat yai airport to Koh phangan

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

Hi folks.
    Iam touching down at hatyai airport around 2 pm and wondering do I have any options to head straight to phnghan/samui??
    I have no plans to spend any time around hatyai just wanna head straight to Koh phnagan
    whats the bus timing gonna be like from the airport ??
    Is it possible to grab a bus/van from airport???or do I need to travel to Hatyai town to grab the bus/van??
    How much does it gona cost me??
    Lets say travel time is gonna be 5 hours to the pier how likely my self gettin in to a ferry around that time(donsak)????
    I want to know all the bus/van/ connecting ferry timing and the cost involved from hatyai to phangan and vice versa ??

Thanks

#1 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 06:19

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I doubt you'll make it to the islands same day unless you hire a private taxi and tell him to floor it (and pay a few thousand baht). It's over 300km from Hat Yai airport to Surat Thani and another 50km to Don Sak pier. Last ferry to Ko Phangan is at 5:30 and Samui at 6pm.

http://samui.sawadee.com/airport/boat_transfer.html

A slower but very relaxed cheap reliable way is get a tuk tuk from Hat Yai airport to the train station (20 min.). Then jump on the #172 train at 3:26 which gets to Surat Thani at 9:07pm. The station's actually in Phunphin a small district outside Surat town, but it's geared towards travellers headed for the islands and has several guesthouses and restaurants where you can eat drink and crash, then grab a quick bus/ferry next morning.

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp (click on the Southern Line link)

#2 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 10:48

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

Thanks bob.

Intially I was thinking of stayin at hatyai same night and then leave next day morning to phangan.
    Since u suggest phuibin is nice why not???
    by e way is this place close to don sak pier?? can I get a bus from there to the pier??

#3 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 22:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I wouldn't call Phunphin "nice". It's basically a transport hub (airport, train, and long-distance bus station all close by) outside Surat Thani town. Many backpackers transit through it daily so there are a few guesthouses catering to quick overnighters. It's approximately 80km from Phunphin to the Don Sak pier and numerous buses/vans/pickups run between the two daily especially mornings. Alternatively go into Surat town for the night which cuts 20km of the trip to Don Sak next morning.

#4 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.