Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai flooding

Posted by viajero2011 on 7/11/2010 at 15:01

anybody living or in Chiang Mai right now? I know there has been massive floods as of late, is it still too soon to try and make a trip there? I would be leaving from BKK in about 5-6 days from today (7 Nov. 2010).

I hope I'm not being insensitive. I know it's been pretty bad up there, but I'm having a hard time finding reliable news information. Thanks and God bless

DB

#1 viajero2011 has been a member since 13/8/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by bekk on 7/11/2010 at 16:19

i haven't heard anything about flooding in chiang mai! i am heading there day ofter tomorrow, i hope it is alright. from what i hear the south is still a disaster zone and the flooding of the north-east is easing...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/205185/flood-death-toll-rises-to-161

#2 bekk has been a member since 13/10/2010. Posts: 14

Posted by viajero2011 on 7/11/2010 at 17:30

Thanks Bekk, I appreciate the response....

How are you going to Chiang Mai? Plane, train, or bus? I was thinking of catching an overnight bus from Mo Chit on the 9th but wasn't sure if everything is up and running as usual. I'm in Malaysia now and because of the flooding in the area (specifically S. Thailand) the trains to BKK are not running. Do you think it's safe to assume that all the ground transportation sectors in the north are still functioning???

#3 viajero2011 has been a member since 13/8/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by Captain_Bob on 7/11/2010 at 19:48

I live in Chiang Mai. There has been zero flooding up here so stop worrying. The worst floods have been in provinces just north and northeast of Bangkok last month, and more recently way down south in Songkhla, Pattalung, and for a couple bad days on Ko Samui. Now the water is draining off and travel throughout most of the country is as normal.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by bekk on 8/11/2010 at 08:52

viajero2011, their is zero trouble with transit bkk upwards. i am taking the train on the tenth, maybe i'll see you there!

#5 bekk has been a member since 13/10/2010. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.