Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

NYE in Chiang Mai or Sukhothai?

• vinygo

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2009

I'm going to Thailand just after Xmas and I'll be starting my trip from Chiang mai . Does anyone know if it's better to spend NYE in Chiang Mai or Sukhothai my next destination.
    Is the 1st of January a working day in Thailand?
    Thank you

#1 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Chiang Mai gets considerably more tourists and has way way more western-type bars. Jan-1 is New Year for westerners whereas Thai New Year is in April (Songkran). Thais still use Jan-1 as an excuse to party but I think you'll find Chiang Mai has a lot more going on (big fireworks display for example) at the stroke of midnight than does relatively sleepy Sukhothai.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 10:33

• vinygo

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2009

Thank you for your reply Captain. I was kind thinking the same but wanted confirmation. I will most probably be in Chiang Mai now.

Btw do you know anything about about the flooding?
    Is Ko Samui good to go?

#3 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 06:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sukhothai to Chiang Mai bus ... By Garm on 2 Jun 2010 3 8856 5 Jun 2010