Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which beach has good snorkelling on Phangan?

Posted by lampostx on 29/11/2006 at 04:18

hi there,

We were originally going to Samui, but have since changed our minds to Phangan. Can anyone recommend which is a great beach to base ourselves for about 3 days of quietness, swimming, and snorkelling?

Is Thong Nai Pan Noi a good snorkelling beach? Woud it be hard to get accomodation on Bottle Beach in January?

Thanks,
Fionna

#1 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/12/2006 at 22:38 admin

Hi Fionna,

Thong Nai Pan isn't the best snorkelling on the island, but it remains a LOVELY beach. Better snorkelling can be had on the northwest coast and the bays around Bottle Beach.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,500
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Enrico_Gatti on 6/12/2006 at 17:12

Agreed! Thong Nai Pan and the area around ottle beach are very nice, but don't try riding a bike to bottle beach with anything less then a dirt bike, especially if its been raining :-(

Do you have a place to stay? i reccommend the west coast. Just above Thong Sala (20 mins on a bike) there is a wonderful group of beach huts called the Laem Son Bungelows, stayed here in october and loved every minute.

#3 Enrico_Gatti has been a member since 4/5/2006. Posts: 17

Posted by lampostx on 6/12/2006 at 23:26

Thanks for the tips! I'm now thinking of staying at Haad Khom (just around Bottle Beach) and daytripping to Bottle Beach. Just because Haad Khom may be quieter, but we'll probably decide on the spot which to go to. Beach life, here we come! :)

#4 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by kimmistaus on 11/12/2006 at 16:10

hi there
iv just been on koh pha ngang, i stayed at haad son for a few days and that was very good. the resort there has very friendly staff and the bungalows have excellent sunset views, i mean amazing sunsets. i went to mae haad beach after that which was like a hippy village pretty cool and the snorkelling was very good there just off koh mah.
i had heard about how amazing bottle beach was and wanted to go there but found out that no longboats where going there and the bungalows where all closed due to the big wave season. a little dissapointing but it does give me a reason to go back there which is good.

anyway hope the info helps,
cheers kim

#5 kimmistaus has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by kimmistaus on 11/12/2006 at 16:11

hi there
iv just been on koh pha ngang, i stayed at haad son for a few days and that was very good. the resort there has very friendly staff and the bungalows have excellent sunset views, i mean amazing sunsets. i went to mae haad beach after that which was like a hippy village pretty cool and the snorkelling was very good there just off koh mah.
i had heard about how amazing bottle beach was and wanted to go there but found out that no longboats where going there and the bungalows where all closed due to the big wave season. a little dissapointing but it does give me a reason to go back there which is good.

cheers kim

#6 kimmistaus has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by kimmistaus on 11/12/2006 at 16:11

hi there

cheers kim

#7 kimmistaus has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.