Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thai visa from Vientiane

• dorial

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2010

Hi all,

I'm in Vientiane at the moment and I'm considering getting the 60-day visa for Thailand from the Thai embassy here. I was wondering if you think this is the best option for someone who was crossing by land border from Laos to Thailand? Does anyone know how much this costs and how long it takes to process? I was thinking this was the best option as the 15-day visa seems too short for my trip and to get an extension sounds pretty pricy for such a short amount of time - I hear it's only 7-10 day extension?

Thanks for your help.

#1 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 22:19

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Do yourself a favour and get a Tourist Visa from the Embassy in Vientiane. They should be free until March, 2011. Not sure how long it would take, but I can't see you having to wait more than a day.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 00:10

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I agree with Tilapia, get the free 60-day Tourist Visa. I did exactly that about a month ago, and they are still free through next March.

You have to go to the Thai Consulate (not the Embassy) one morning between 9am and noon (I think), and you pick up your passport again the following day between 1pm and 3pm. The crowd was pretty big for both parts when I was there, and I suspect it always is because it's a popular visa-run spot, but the lines move quickly enough and you don't have to worry about an interview or any other weird things happening.

When you get to that open-air consulate area you'll be accosted by people out front offering to help you fill out your form for a few dollars, but you can easily do it yourself during the time between when you take a number and that number is called to get back in line. You also need copies of passport pages, which you can get done cheaply from a machine upstairs, and two photos, which employees will help you paste onto the application.

#3 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 09:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yes, get the visa. It's free of charge and you can get a single or double-entry visa for the same price (free). The consulate is open M-F and applications are taken at 8:30 when the gate opens (get there early). You're given a number and then have your passport, application, photos, and signed photocopies of passport ready. They'll give you a receipt for pickup between 1-3pm next day. Can be very busy especially on Mondays.

When you pick up your passport check the dates on the visa and make sure they are correct. I've seen/had some errors in the past which needed to be corrected immdeiately. Once you walk out of there it then becomes impossible to fix any mistakes. It should be valid for 3 months (timeframe within which you have to start using it). Number of Entries will indicate either "S" or "2".

With this tourist visa in hand most nationalities get a 60-day entry which is extendable at Immigration offices in Thailand 30 more days. Double-entry means you do a border hop to activate the 2nd entry.

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 10:11

• dorial

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2010

I did get the visa in Vientiane in the end and this was definitely the best option. 60 days have been stamped when I arrived at the border crossing from Laos to Thailand. Applying was very quick in Vientiane - I applied in the morning (importantly you must get there well before 12 noon as the queues are big) and received the visa the next day in the afternoon. I would definitely recommend to anyone else!

Thanks everyone for your help!

#5 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 11:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.