Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Backpacker Accomodation In Sihanoukville, Koh Tao And Koh Phangan

• hayden1988

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

I am traveling around asia in January and February 2011 on a backpacker to flashpacker budget and wondered if anyone can recomend hotels/guesthouses in any of the following areas,

Sihanoukville
    Koh Phangan ( Haad Rin)
    Nha Trang

I am also looking at doing a diving course in Koh Tao and would welcome any recomendations on dive resorts to book through.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• stevenx

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2007

With regards to Koh Tao, I've been a few times (and I'll be back in a few weeks!) and I've found Big Blue Diving has the best combination of staff (many, experienced, and very helpful), location (on the beach at the northern end of Sairee), equipment (clean, plentiful, good quality), facilities (bar, restaurant, small equipment shop, free lockers, etc), and options (novice to professional, tech courses, plenty of day trips and fun dives, three dive boats). It's a large operation so there are open water courses beginning every day (they like to keep group sizes fairly small).

They can also do accommodation and diving packages, although I prefer to arrange my accommodation independently.

There are plenty of other options, though. Ban's and Simple Life get a lot of good things said about them. Sairee isn't the only option, either. It's the busiest and most developed part of the island but there are lots of cool bays with their own small villages and accommodation and diving options.

#2 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 11:40

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

for accommodation in Sihanoukville I posted something earlier this year over here http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/10815_backpacker-accommodation-in-sihanoukville--cambodia

I used to live in Nha Trang for a while, the place is just awesome with nice beaches, waterfalls, deserted beaches, ...
    best place to stay is 64 Thran Phu (you won't find it on a map I guess cause it ain't big), just a small street from the main street on the south side, nearby the beach, Sailing Club and stuff.
    Hotels here range from 8 to 25$ whatever you want. Though best to check out the room before you arrange something as I've heard that not all the hotels are clean.
    I also stayed in this street for a while in Nam Phoung hotel.

#3 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 21:24

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I was last in Nha Trang a few years back but from my past experience, you don't need to book long anywhere. There are heaps of spots and you need to look at them. Don't get too locked in for a long time cuz you may want to change and it is easy to do. Great place as last poster said.

#4 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 16:02

• MiaBritton

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009
    Location New Zealand

Sihanoukville: My partner and I were here last year for New Years. We stayed in Victory Hill and down on the main beach....I would try to avoid Victory- I heard of numerous people getting ripped off up here, as we did! There are cheap places to stay down by the beach, or on the beach front- book for 1 night somewhere then go for a walk! Otres beach is beautiful as well if you're looking to relax more than party!

#5 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 19:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
backpacker accommodation in sihanoukville, cambodia ... By bakpakk on 8 Jun 2010 6 6209 16 Sep 2010
Backpacker Accomodation in Phnom Penh ... By Playground on 25 Sep 2008 3 3378 22 Oct 2008
Sihanoukville Accomodation and tips ... By dementior on 26 Jun 2014 1 661 26 Jun 2014
Accomodation in Sihanoukville / Serendipity Beach ... By emmryss on 4 Nov 2007 2 3992 6 Nov 2007