Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Islands in January 2010

• missmay

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2010

Hi all,

Myself and boyfriend are planning on a three week trip to Thailand. I have been to Thailand twice. I need advice on what island to go to.

This is the start of our Itinerary

Bangkok- 3 nights

Bangkok train to Kanchuburi- 3 nights

Then a train from Ratchaburi to Surat Thani

Then it's the tricky where next....

I'm confused as i'd like to go to Ko Tao or KPN. However I went to KPN in 2008 for Christmas and it rained non stop. Will the rainy season end in Jan? Or would anyone suggested krabi/phuket etc....

It's very confusing. I don't want to book a few bungalows in KPN and realise it's raining etc....I like places with a bohemian atmosphere.

Advise needed

Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 05:10

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

By January the rain should be over. But weather is always unpredicatble so there is never a 100% guarantee.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 09:57

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Statistically early Jan is wetter on the Phangan side than the Andaman - see TRAVELFISH'S excellent interactive weather map.
    But it must not be a big deal on average because that is also high season there - you don't get high season when the weather is real wet, witness the Andaman in August when all the northern hemisphere is on holiday and looking for a beach.

Having said that, if you want to play it real safe, the Andaman would be the go in Januaray. Me, I wouldn't worry about heading for Phangan or Tao in January - and I avoid these places Oct thru December.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 15:55

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

That's a bit ridiculous, everyone knows the Chinese are busy with Laos and Myanmar right now anyway.

Kunming is going to be connected to Yangon by a high-seed train with construction starting in two-months . . they say a plan to run one down to Vientiane is next - that should slash a nice little path through Northwestern Laos and Xishuanbanna.

#4 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 08:13

• sonnymav5a

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

Thailand has many islands to choose from. There is Phuket, Koh PhiPhi, Samui, Krabe, Kohtao Etc
    Enjoy your Holiday.
    http://thailandbadnewsworld.proforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=5#5

#5 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 16:27

• Dilligaf

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

Koh Chang is another option.
    You could fly directly from Samui or even fly from BKK or take the 4.5 hr bus ride to Trat then get to the pier and take the 40 minute ferry ride across?
    Even though Koh Chang is in the Gulf of Thailand, the weather should be just about perfect there in Jan. Feb/March is typically a guarantee of awesome weather, hence the room charhes at peak rates.

#6 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 11:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bueng Kan, Thailand (January 2010) ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 2 3670 15 Sep 2010
January to march (or longer) 2010 ... By Deuce232 on 4 Jan 2010 1 1419 9 Jan 2010
Arriving BKK 7th January 2010 - Travel Buddy ... By kav86 on 4 Jan 2010 0 1801 4 Jan 2010