Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Q's?

• Mechboy

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2006

Hello all and thanks for the helpful info on the boards... have a few q's

Me and my girlfriend are comming to Thailand from Canada march 1 to april 27 2007 plane tickets are bought and paid for :D We were originaly planning on doing a boarder run 1/2 way through our holiday but we are unsure of the best route to take now with the new visa changes.

Would it be better to just drive down to the thai embassy and apply for the 60 day tourist visa? or is boarder run still a viabul option? will we be hassled becouse our plane tickets have a departure of april 27, 58 days after we land?

Also has anyone had any problems with e-ticket? we are flying via Korean Air

thanks

#1 Posted: 30/11/2006 - 09:22

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hey Mechboy,

Here is what I found on the Thai MFA website:

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 40 countries and 1 special administrative region – Hong Kong SAR – are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

Canada is of course one of those 40 countries where you don't need a visa. You might want to check out the Thai Embassy in Ottawa website too, since they mention that some airlines aren't aware of this fact, and recommend you print a letter from the website to show the airline folks, just in case.

Since you can effectively enter Thailand 3 times for a total of 90 days within a six month period, you should be fine heading off to Thailand for your two months without obtaining a visa ahead of time. The advantage of this way is that the 30-day visa on arrival is free. The disadvantage is that you'll need to break up your trip pretty much exactly in the middle so as not to stay more than 30 days either time.

You could also just get a 60-day tourist visa from the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Canada (Ottawa and Vancouver for sure, perhaps others too). The advantage of that is that you'd be good for your entire visit - and wouldn't need to worry about any of this stuff. The disadvantage is that the 60-day tourist visas cost money, something like C$60.

I guess it would depend on how much you wanted to pop into Laos or Cambodia for a few days or not, and the added costs of a Lao or Cambodian visa and that travel vs. the 60-day Thai tourist visa.

Is the Thai Embassy/Consulate close to where you live? Can you do it by mail?

On the other topic, I've flown with e-tickets dozens of times and never had a problem, although none of those were with Korean Air.

Have a good trip. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2006 - 10:32

• Mechboy

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2006

thanks Exacto

we were pretty sure on most of the stuff you mentioned and are kind of leaning towards just getting the 60day tourst visa befor we leave becouse like you said we would have to time/split our holiday almost exactly down the middle.

there is a Thai embassy in Calgary aswell as one in Edmonton i will have to call to see if we can obtain our visas from those offices or go via mail to ottawa or vancover

cheers

#3 Posted: 30/11/2006 - 11:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hey guy,

I think if I were in your situation, I'd go ahead and get the 60-day visa too. It gives you maximum flexibilty and reduces your stress for only a small amount of additional cash. Plus, if you decide to pop over to Laos or Cambodia, you can do it when you wish, not when you must, and you can still get a freeby 30-day visa when you cross back into Thailand. Regards.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 10:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.