Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Loi Krathong / Yi Peng in Chiang Mai

• TheNewGuy8

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

What is the schedule for these events in Chiang Mai ? I'm in Phuket right now, and I need to get to Chiang Mai anyway and thought I'd get there in time to see the lantern festival and other elements of these holidays. Can anyone tell me what evening they'll be floating the lanterns? And where in Chiang Mai this takes place? How about other elements - floating krathongs down the river? When/where is that?

Thanks all!

#1 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 17:02

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Anytime later this week, especially Friday-Sunday (19-21) there will be a lot of activity after dark around the Thaphae Gate, Three Kings Monument, and out at the Ping River near the US consulate, Narawat Bridge, and Wat Chaimonkol temple. Already the past week there have been nightly sounds of fireworks and some paper "kom fye" candle balloons in the sky, but Friday is when it should get serious. "Krathongs" (banana leaf floats) are for sale in stalls along major roads and if possible it's kind of fun to make your own.

Every year there is a mass launch of kom fye paper balloons near Mae Jo University in Sansai about 15km NNE of the city center. I recently spoke with the Sansai district office who said it would be Friday evening Nov 19 this year. It's always very very crowded so you can get out there best on a scooter around 6pm then just follow the others. Out on the superhighway take route 1001 north another 10km. Takes some effort but a unique experience.

Or (spoiler) watch it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN7jhXlYEc8

#2 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 19:38

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Wow!
    I am going to arrive just in time (Nov, 19, around 14-00 :) )

#3 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 18:39

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

OK, after some more checking it's definitely tomorrow evening (Nov 20) the big kom fye launch. Tu Dong Ka Sathaan Lanna Meditation Center, for Google nerds it's at 18°54'40.69"N 99° 0'50.15"E
    Ceremonies in the afternoon and kom fye launching 8pm, but go early around sunset.
    Google: "Yi Peng Sansai 2553"
    Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3EPx-Orec
    I called the number and spoke to friend in Sansai to confirm.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 15:38

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#5 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 14:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
26th Nov to 1st Dec in Chiang Mai (yi peng festival) ... By stellix on 7 Oct 2012 0 549 7 Oct 2012
Should I avoid Chiang Mai on Loy Krathong? ... By scythemk on 18 Sep 2010 6 2249 26 Sep 2010
Loi Krathong in the north (Chiang Rai province) ... By somanights on 13 Nov 2013 2 759 14 Nov 2013