Thailand forum

Thai national parks

• somelocallu-
    ser

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location Finland

Hello from Finland,
    I´m doing my first SEA trip between January and May 2011.
    I would like to know about national parks in Thailand.Which ones are easy to go to with public transport and have somewhere modest to sleep at modest price?Are there usually well marked paths or would I need a guide?Any experiences?
    All the best,Janne

#1 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 00:17

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Favorite is probably Khao Sok down south between Surat Thani and Phuket. Public buses go past the turnoff to the park where the entrance is just another 2km walk. Plenty of rooms, bungalows, even some "treehouses" near the park headquarters. Can organise walks guided or unguided there.

Also good to take a trip to the huge lake and sleep in one of the floating rafthouses. If you do this it's good to group up with other travellers to share costs otherwise it can be expensive. http://www.khaosok.com

#2 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 12:57

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

There is a NATIONAL PARKS web site - google it.

Khao Yai is popular - has a couple of campsites.

you can hire camping equipment at all National parks

Kha Sok down South is great

Kaeng Krachan is the biggest and one of the least visited by foreigners - keep it to your self!

Try to "be green" whe you visit - the average visitor from Thailand hasn't got a clue - it's very,very sad

#3 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 13:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yeah, the notion of not throwing trash all around your environment hasn't caught on in Thailand yet. My wife's village is a pig stye, with plastic bags and bottles all over the place - and it doesn't seem to bother a soul. Driving and polluting - two areas where the Thai's could use a little work.

#4 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 13:42

• somelocallu-
    ser

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location Finland

Thanks for the replies.Was already thinking about Khao Sok and now it seems settled.Kaeng Krachan seems harder to get to but maybe will visit if I find someone to go with or if I feel lucky enough I´ll try it by myself.

I´m debating with myself about taking my hiking shoes with me(they would take room and are quite heavy).Could I get by with pair of sneakers?

I´m all for keeping the places clean.

#5 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 00:47

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Khao Sam Roi Yot is also quite nice for a beachfront NP. It's just a short distance south of Hua Hin and not too difficult to reach. I wouldn't even bother taking public transport. I'd hire a motorbike in Hua Hin and go from there.

You might regret bringing hiking shoes, especially if you only use them once or twice.

#6 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 02:42

• fox80

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

I am into visiting NP as well. My and my bf will be travelling in SEA next year. I won't be much of help, but I found this website that has all NP listed:
    http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/nationalpark.asp?lg=2

#7 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 09:07

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I wouldn't bother with boots - you might get a good pair of gortex all-purpose sneakers before you go.

Public transport to Kaen Krchan might be a bit patchy - there will be minibus trips there. If you feel up to it hire a pickup or motorbike - makes getting to any "out of the way" place a lot easier. With a truck you can carry a lot more stuff too!

#8 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 13:21

• somelocallu-
    ser

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location Finland

Thanks for replies and opinions.
    Fox,found the same site,too many to choose from,heh heh.

#9 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 14:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai national parks/nature ... By Animal_lover on 5 Oct 2010 4 1429 16 Oct 2010
national parks ... By sapote on 21 Oct 2013 21 3897 27 Oct 2013
National Parks and Markets ... By guyhay on 1 Mar 2009 1 1716 1 Mar 2009
Advise about National parks and islands ... By PadThai on 22 Jan 2013 1 1691 4 Feb 2013
National Parks and Elephants Treks ... By karyn on 11 Jun 2006 2 1780 16 Jun 2006
South East Asia National Parks ... By magoo23 on 10 Apr 2011 0 2802 10 Apr 2011
national parks east java, baluran, meru betiri or alas purwo? ... By Animal_lover on 4 Feb 2013 2 1158 18 Feb 2013