Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

HELP!!! Accomodation at Christmas...pre book or book when we get there???

• Danyelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2010

Hello guys,
    I am in need of some help...
    My husband and I will be travelling to Thailand on the 29th November for 8 weeks. Our plan is to travel up north and then into Laos before getting a flight to Ko Samui and Koh phangan where we will go to the Full Moon party and be ready to leave on the 23rd December.

Our dilemma is firstly can anyone recommend where would be the best place to travel too for Xmas? We plan to spend 5 nights there and are looking for somewhere fairly relaxed and scenic... We are not bothered about it being Xmas but just want to relax and unwind after the 4 nights on Koh phangan!!! We will be heading to Koh Phayam on the 30th December to meet some friends for New Years so somewhere on the way to this would be good but can be flexible.

Secondly would you recommend pre booking accommodation or just turning up?

Any help would be much appreciated, also any other hints and advice on islands to visit?

Thank you in advance!

Danyelle

#1 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 17:04

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Why not stay on Koh Phangan but at a more relaxing beach like Thong Nai Pan or Bottle Beach? Koh Phangan has loads more to offer than just the FMP and the beaches that are not aimed at partying are very beautiful & relaxing.

Another option is to go to the Khao Lak area for a few days. It is not too far from Koh Phangan or Koh Phayam. Or Koh Prathong, which is probably in between the two.

I would definately pre-book for that week. It is probably the busiest week no matter where you end up going. And many places are already booked up.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 17:58

• Danyelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2010

Hi there,

Thank you so much for this advice, do you know I didn't even think about staying on Koh Phangan! Have also looked at Khao Lak and it look beautiful so I think I may settle on this island.
    Thanks!

#3 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 20:33

• DaniGriff

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

I just wanted to make a note here tho that Khao Lak is on the other side of Thailand and is very far from Koh Phangan. Koh Phangan is on the gulf side of Thailand where Khao Lak is on the adamian sea side, it is close to Phang Nga town tho which is on the mainland of Thailand but is a different place then Koh Phangan which is where the full moon party is held.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 23:04

• Danyelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2010

Hi DaniGriff,

Gosh really! This is my first time travelling to Thailand so feel a little lost to be honest! How long do you think it will take to travel? I don't mind doing this as I do want to explore Ko Lanta and Ko Lipe so need to be over this side anyway...

Anywhere else you could recommend?

#5 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 23:25

• DaniGriff

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

I haven't been yet, I am also going to be traveling in Thailand over this Christmas and New Years so this is all from my research and planning I am doing for my trip. It will take you a day to get across from the Gulf to the Adamian sea. Take a ferry from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani then take a bus to Krabi . Then from Krabi you can take a boat to Ko Lanta, bus to Khao Lak and I am not sure about Ko Lipe.

#6 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 17:25

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

DaniGriff, the OP asked for a place to go after Koh Phangan before Koh Phayam. To this I suggested Khao Lak as Koh Phayam is also on the Andaman side.....
    From Surat Thani it takes 2 hours to get to Khao Lak.

#7 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 07:52

• DaniGriff

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

sorry guava girl I wasn't trying to say you where wrong or anything so sorry if that is how it came off, but yea I didn't think of it that way as being between just that it wasn't all that close to Koh Phangan. I was originally thinking of going over to the gulf side to Ko Tao and Ko Samui but decided that from everything that I have read it seems like the travel across the mainland would take a full day out because of the ferry schedules that I would rather stay on the Adamian side because the wether is suppose to be better I think and the diving is better. So I thought I would just share that these two places aren't all that close

#8 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 21:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
book in advance for christmas ... By pia2am on 11 Aug 2009 7 2503 12 Aug 2009
SHOULD I PRE-BOOK FOR CHRISTMAS TRAVEL? ... By mrsdaisypoo on 3 Oct 2007 2 1784 5 Oct 2007
do we need to book accomodation before ... By susanlangston on 1 Nov 2006 3 1586 2 Nov 2006
USING MAESTRO TO BOOK ACCOMODATION ... By nikpiff on 5 Dec 2007 2 1716 8 Dec 2007
How far in advance should I book accomodation? ... By danudy on 15 Feb 2009 4 3917 16 Feb 2009
How soon to book flights from Bangkok - Ko Samui for Christmas? ... By alt on 17 Oct 2011 5 1266 18 Oct 2011
Accomodation in Thailand in November - book before trip or on arrival? ... By scythemk on 15 Sep 2010 7 3822 19 Sep 2010
Hotels in July - to book, or not to book? ... By Dutch on 27 May 2013 4 2111 12 Jun 2013
To book or not to book (in advance) and other questions ... By arundhati on 9 Dec 2013 5 1600 20 Dec 2013
To book or not to book in advanced... ... By husker16 on 21 Oct 2010 8 3214 30 Oct 2010