Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

HELP!!! Accomodation at Christmas...pre book or book when we get there???

Posted by Danyelle on 19/11/2010 at 17:04

Hello guys,
I am in need of some help...
My husband and I will be travelling to Thailand on the 29th November for 8 weeks. Our plan is to travel up north and then into Laos before getting a flight to Ko Samui and Koh phangan where we will go to the Full Moon party and be ready to leave on the 23rd December.

Our dilemma is firstly can anyone recommend where would be the best place to travel too for Xmas? We plan to spend 5 nights there and are looking for somewhere fairly relaxed and scenic... We are not bothered about it being Xmas but just want to relax and unwind after the 4 nights on Koh phangan!!! We will be heading to Koh Phayam on the 30th December to meet some friends for New Years so somewhere on the way to this would be good but can be flexible.

Secondly would you recommend pre booking accommodation or just turning up?

Any help would be much appreciated, also any other hints and advice on islands to visit?

Thank you in advance!

Danyelle

#1 Danyelle has been a member since 13/9/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by guava_girl on 19/11/2010 at 17:58

Why not stay on Koh Phangan but at a more relaxing beach like Thong Nai Pan or Bottle Beach? Koh Phangan has loads more to offer than just the FMP and the beaches that are not aimed at partying are very beautiful & relaxing.

Another option is to go to the Khao Lak area for a few days. It is not too far from Koh Phangan or Koh Phayam. Or Koh Prathong, which is probably in between the two.

I would definately pre-book for that week. It is probably the busiest week no matter where you end up going. And many places are already booked up.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by Danyelle on 19/11/2010 at 20:33

Hi there,

Thank you so much for this advice, do you know I didn't even think about staying on Koh Phangan! Have also looked at Khao Lak and it look beautiful so I think I may settle on this island.
Thanks!

#3 Danyelle has been a member since 13/9/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by DaniGriff on 19/11/2010 at 23:04

I just wanted to make a note here tho that Khao Lak is on the other side of Thailand and is very far from Koh Phangan. Koh Phangan is on the gulf side of Thailand where Khao Lak is on the adamian sea side, it is close to Phang Nga town tho which is on the mainland of Thailand but is a different place then Koh Phangan which is where the full moon party is held.

#4 DaniGriff has been a member since 3/11/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by Danyelle on 19/11/2010 at 23:25

Hi DaniGriff,

Gosh really! This is my first time travelling to Thailand so feel a little lost to be honest! How long do you think it will take to travel? I don't mind doing this as I do want to explore Ko Lanta and Ko Lipe so need to be over this side anyway...

Anywhere else you could recommend?

#5 Danyelle has been a member since 13/9/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by DaniGriff on 20/11/2010 at 17:25

I haven't been yet, I am also going to be traveling in Thailand over this Christmas and New Years so this is all from my research and planning I am doing for my trip. It will take you a day to get across from the Gulf to the Adamian sea. Take a ferry from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani then take a bus to Krabi . Then from Krabi you can take a boat to Ko Lanta, bus to Khao Lak and I am not sure about Ko Lipe.

#6 DaniGriff has been a member since 3/11/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by guava_girl on 21/11/2010 at 07:52

DaniGriff, the OP asked for a place to go after Koh Phangan before Koh Phayam. To this I suggested Khao Lak as Koh Phayam is also on the Andaman side.....
From Surat Thani it takes 2 hours to get to Khao Lak.

#7 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by DaniGriff on 21/11/2010 at 21:22

sorry guava girl I wasn't trying to say you where wrong or anything so sorry if that is how it came off, but yea I didn't think of it that way as being between just that it wasn't all that close to Koh Phangan. I was originally thinking of going over to the gulf side to Ko Tao and Ko Samui but decided that from everything that I have read it seems like the travel across the mainland would take a full day out because of the ferry schedules that I would rather stay on the Adamian side because the wether is suppose to be better I think and the diving is better. So I thought I would just share that these two places aren't all that close

#8 DaniGriff has been a member since 3/11/2010. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.