Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Malaria Risk Ko Phayam & Ko Chang

• scrog99

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010

I'm heading to Ko Phayam & Little Ko Chang early December for 6 weeks ; I've just stumbled on a post saying that theres still a malaria risk on these islands ( the post also mentions snake problems) normally I'm not worried about this kind of stuff ,( I've camped out for months in the Andaman islands (india) but I'm taking my 3 year old daughter this time and this info has got my girlfriend worrying a bit , is there anyone who knows these islands well who could give an update on the health issues ?

#1 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 23:00

• Advertisement

• DIMA

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2007

There are no malaria and dengue fever in Koh Phayam. Never had any cases . Population of people very small and mosquitoes not fly more than 60-80 m from place where they bread...In Ranong city , where big population of migrants have all of course. I have 3 small kids and stay here long time and my kids never had any health problem.. Also you will see snake - you should be very lucky... Not too many here as well. I saw one snake every 3-4 months and not seat always in same place..
    Cannot say nothing about Ko Chang, island is bigger and much lees developed than Koh Phayam island...

#2 Posted: 10/12/2010 - 09:20

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Koh Chang is fast becoming over developed along the shore. I have never heard of any major health out breaks but as the island is so much covered rain forest I would take all the normal precautions as per small children. You will see many small children there but most holidayers with small kids keep towards the beaches not the jungle. There are snakes about toward the foliage but it is not a big problem for tourists. in my two trips there we encountered none, but the jungle above the shore line is full of em. One girl did find a huge lizard under her bed while I was there but the place we stayed in was about as low budget as you could find then. now there are numerous "nice" places to stay that aren't open to such pests. There are numerous geckos of course. Make sure you wash the childs hands and face a lot and bring or purchase in Bkk plenty of germ killing wipes etc. Enjoy your trip.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 16:18

• jematah

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2010

Hi!

You've made the right choice! I'm also coming there in a couple of days for 6 weeks! I wouldn't worry about the 'problems' you mentioned.. BUT. I did get a dengue fever there in May 2010 - it was quite a nasty one too. And so did few others around same time and before many people I know got it there. And they suspected (nurse on phayam) malaria first, but I haven't heard of any cases myself. And I've seen quite a few snakes there too but mostly during quiet (rainy) season. But don't worry! This time a year, there are enough tourists to keep the snakes away and the mosquitos love wet places so I don't think that will be a problem either. Enjoy!!

#4 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 04:32

• Dilligaf

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

To even suggest that there is no risk at all (see dima post) is misleading to say the least.
    The correct answer is - There are malaria carrying mozzies in and around Koh Chang and areas close to the Cambodian border BUT- the chance of contracting the disease is very low.
    Especially if you take precautions such as some personal spray on tropical strength aeroguard or equivalent before you venture outdoors AND spray your room with fly spray when you enter but in particular spray before going to bed.
    There are snakes but you are unlikely to stumble across them unless you go and see a snake show or something :)
    Just take precautions and you won't find yourself stressing too much about it, leaving you with more time to enjoy your holiday.

#5 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 08:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaria risk Koh Phayam near Ranong ... By Tinz on 25 Oct 2012 1 2418 31 Oct 2012
Malaria risk ... By evans112 on 9 Dec 2013 3 674 10 Dec 2013
Koh Chang noi, Koh Phayam ... By Pjotra on 28 Dec 2012 0 1471 28 Dec 2012
Koh Phayam to Koh Chang by boat... ... By altmtl on 20 Oct 2011 2 1906 17 Dec 2011
Ko Chang (Andaman Coast) or Ko Phayam ... By Tinz on 10 Sep 2012 5 2272 10 Sep 2012
Koh Chang Noi, Koh Phayam (Anadaman Coast) Xmas should i book? ... By Tinz on 24 Sep 2012 3 2055 25 Sep 2012