Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Island? Ko Maak, Ko Mun Nork, Ko Wai, Ko Kham?

• TassieHeidi

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2006

My fiance and I are flying to Bangkok in March to start a honeymoon trek around SE Asia and Tibet. We plan to rough it a bit once on the road, but would like to start off with a week+ island getaway before heading off to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.

Has anyone been to Ko Maak, Ko Mun Nork, Ko Wai, or Ko Kham?
    Which would most suit as a private honeymoon destination?

We are not into the backpackers/party scene and would prefer to go somewhere we can dive and relax on the beach. Highly-developed tourist areas are DEFINATELY not our cup of tea :)
    Ideas anyone?

Cheers,
    Heidi
    Hobart, Tasmania

#1 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Heidi,

Welcome to Travelfish!

On Ko Maak, Wai and Kham you can dive and relax on the beach. Mun Nork is relax on the beach, but I don't think there is a dive school.

I've been to two weddings on Mun Nork (it's a popular wedding spot as people hire out the entire island) and I think the beach there is stunning, but the accommodation is a little half baked, though a friend who was there last weekend said they'd upgraded the rooms a little...

Ko Maak and Ko Wai are traditional "backpacker islands" so there's a handful of places to stay, eat and drink -- Ko Kham and Ko Mun Nork each have just the one resort, and are both far more popular with Thai tourists than western backpackers.

To be honest, if you were looking for three or four nights on a really quite but lovely spot, where you're likely to be the only westerners on the island, I'd say pack a few cheese-boards and bottles of wine and head to Ko Mun Nork. If you're looking for a bit of western company and a range of places to eat, then I'd say Ko Wai or Ko Maak are great spots.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 3/12/2006 - 07:01

• TassieHeidi

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2006

Thanks for your reply - that's great info! It really does help when someone has been before and knows a little about the place :)
    We are thinking about Mun Nork but I'm not sure if the finances will allow staying there for too long! oh so hard to decide... such a tough life :)

No doubt I'll be posting again as we begin to nut out a plan of travelling through the region. 8 weeks hardly seems enough!

Thanks for your reply and for such a great site too!

#3 Posted: 4/12/2006 - 19:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Island hopping Ko Maak - any suggestion to save money food wise? ... By talesofloriandmark on 13 Nov 2007 4 3085 15 Nov 2007