Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel tip to Siem Reap

• chrigu

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2010

Hi guys,

I want to go to Siem Reap after my time in Thailand. Which way do you recommend? Bus, plane ...? I know it's difficult because I don't know from where I will start my trip. So this is more a generally question.
    Thanks for your help.

#1 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 04:52

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It really depends on your budget and how much time you have.

Flights will get you there nice an quick, but are comparatively expensive. I think Bangkok Air has the only direct flight hence they keep the prices high. You would have to fly via KL on Air Asia.

Buses will take a fair bit of time (10-12 hours I think??), and I understand there can be lots of hassle if you don't pick your bus company carefully. People have reported of various problems and so-called 'scams' at the border. Having said that, people have also experienced hassle-free bus trips there as well. The road used to be pretty rough on the Cambodia side but it has improved over the last couple of years.

Search through the forums and you will find a fair bit of discussion on this that will help you decide.

#2 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 05:20

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

If doing it by one of the Khao San Road buses it will probably take forever.

But if you get the public bus to Aranyaprathet and then share a taxi with some other travellers once over the border (think its about $45-50 for a taxi) it shouldnt take more than about 7 hours for the whole trip

#3 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 22:20

• textibule

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2010

Then there's this:
    http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Aranyaprathet

Thought that I would try this way out of Bangkok when I'm thre in January.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 19:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.