Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ideas for a noob

• TheTanjian

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

Hello one and all!

Sorry for what is probably a frequent post but I find myself looking to book this trip at short notice without the time to properly research through all the excellent posts on this site.

I've got two months in the New Year to visit Thailand and some of the neighbouring regions.

I'm planning to fly in and out of Bangkok and would like to spend a month travelling round Thailand (mainly R&R) and spend the rest visiting a couple of neighbouring countries.

Vietnam and Cambodia appeal but I'm not set on either.

Any suggestions on how best to spend my time?

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

#1 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 07:35

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You can't go wrong checking out some travel guides from your local library and reading up on Thailand and other nearby countries.This way you you can plan your moves. Some countries you need visas you pay for and some you can visit for free.

Take the time to plan your budget. Know how much per night you can afford for a hotel room and then ask for suggestions in that price range. Use a baht figure for Thailand, don't use terms like cheap or economy because they don't mean the same to everyone.

If you intend to use a debit card in Thailand you have to notify your bank before you leave on your trip. If you don't your ATM withdrawals may be denied because of suspected fraud. If the maximum your bank allows you to withdraw is low think about raising the limit. The fee to use an ATM is 150 baht so you don't want to waste a lot of fees on small withdrawals. Don't rely only on one debit card.

My preference is to start in Bangkok first and while there you can purchase transportation to your other destinations. Your travel guides will give you some suggestions on where to stay in Bangkok. Wait until you get to Thailand to change your money over for the best return. Bank money changers available at the airport 24 hours a day. Transportation from the airport is pretty good. For Bangkok my advice is to get a hotel on or near the Skytrain route so you can use that overhead rail service. But, if you are young you can consider Khao San Road where many young travelers go.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 10:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"You can't go wrong checking out some travel guides from your local library and reading up on Thailand and other nearby countries.This way you you can plan your moves. "

You don't even need to go to the library - there is a massive wealth right here on this website! Not just in the forum, but also in the Thailand section here: http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

You can also get much of this info in the EGuides - use the Free Guides link at the top.

Somtam should be paying me a commission for this! ;-) But seriously, you will find some really good useful info. It's hard to know what to suggest without having any real idea of what interests you.

#3 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 06:05

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You don't even need to go to the library - there is a massive wealth right here on this website! Not just in the forum, but also in the Thailand section here: http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

++

I kind of figured he got that part down already since he was posting on on Travelfish!

Hard copy travel guides are something he can read on buses, trains, in restaurants, at work - anywhere he can find a a few minutes free.

Any kind of homework he does for his trip has to help.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 11:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.