Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trat and the Islands

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Hey guys, after some information in regards to banks / int ATM's.

Im looking to use Trat as my base for jumping to the islands of Ko Chang, Ko Mak and Ko Kood and im wondering how i go about getting cash withdrawals on my debit card. Is there an abundance of Int ATM's in Trat or the islands or would it be advisable to organise cash before leaving Bangkok? Cant find much info about it that isnt dated back to early 2000's

#1 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 18:06

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi chris,

you won't have a problem finding an ATM in trat town. there are several along the main road and/or clustered near the markets there. the ATMs belong to various Thai banks and participate in several of the international networks. as long as your debit card participates in one of those networks and has a 4-digit pin, you should be able to withdraw baht in trat just as you would in bangkok..

there weren't any ATMs on ko maak on my last visit in january 2010, so we had to organize our cash in trat town before we took the boat over. i can't say for sure for ko chang, but i'd be surprised if there wasn't an ATM or two there given how popular and developed the island is now.

#2 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 20:05

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Thanks alot exacto was exactly what i wanted to hear and expected. just couldnt find any info that was up to date but assumed being highly developed there would be.

#3 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 20:16

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Plenty of ATM's in the white sand area of Koh Chang, and scattered down the coast. Koh Mak resort will do a cash advance on your credit card if you need it.

#4 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 05:15

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I wouldn't bank on finding an ATM on Mak (terrible pun not intended!)

#5 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 19:14

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Chris,

As Swag said, there are lots of ATMs on Koh Chang.

Also, as much as I love Trat , there's no need to use it as a base to go from island to island. There's no need to go back to the mainland at all. You can easily island-hop from one to the other. But, I guess, if it were me, I'd go back to Trat in between places just because I love that night market so much.

Enjoy.

#6 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 07:59

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Yeh sorry Tilapia i didn't mean use it as a base to come back to between islands more as a jumping off point for the first one i decide to visit and then bounce between the islands before heading back to Trat then onwards to Bangkok from Trat.

#7 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 08:44

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Chris,

Trat is nice for at least one night. Great little town.

#8 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 23:35

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Does it have a decent market?

#9 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 17:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Trat has a busy, old-style day market and a hopping night market too. There is a better-than-average selection of places to stay for a town where folks don't stay very much, several good food and drink spots, and a few good massage places too. On my last visit there was a book shop, a bakery, and several nice coffee houses. It is one of my favorite places to stay in Thailand.

#10 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 05:12

• Advertisement

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

But still, you are more visible in a small town.

#11 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 19:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
trat beaches vs trat islands ... By boxee on 8 Feb 2010 3 5653 15 Feb 2010
Trat Province Islands ... Getting there and Back from Bangkok (Time and Baht) ... By Tilapia on 25 Jan 2007 1 2363 5 Feb 2007