Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Trat and the Islands

Posted by ChrisJenko on 29/11/2010 at 18:06

Hey guys, after some information in regards to banks / int ATM's.

Im looking to use Trat as my base for jumping to the islands of Ko Chang, Ko Mak and Ko Kood and im wondering how i go about getting cash withdrawals on my debit card. Is there an abundance of Int ATM's in Trat or the islands or would it be advisable to organise cash before leaving Bangkok? Cant find much info about it that isnt dated back to early 2000's

#1 ChrisJenko has been a member since 4/11/2010. Posts: 18

Posted by exacto on 29/11/2010 at 20:05

hi chris,

you won't have a problem finding an ATM in trat town. there are several along the main road and/or clustered near the markets there. the ATMs belong to various Thai banks and participate in several of the international networks. as long as your debit card participates in one of those networks and has a 4-digit pin, you should be able to withdraw baht in trat just as you would in bangkok..

there weren't any ATMs on ko maak on my last visit in january 2010, so we had to organize our cash in trat town before we took the boat over. i can't say for sure for ko chang, but i'd be surprised if there wasn't an ATM or two there given how popular and developed the island is now.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by ChrisJenko on 29/11/2010 at 20:16

Thanks alot exacto was exactly what i wanted to hear and expected. just couldnt find any info that was up to date but assumed being highly developed there would be.

#3 ChrisJenko has been a member since 4/11/2010. Posts: 18

Posted by swag on 30/11/2010 at 05:15

Plenty of ATM's in the white sand area of Koh Chang, and scattered down the coast. Koh Mak resort will do a cash advance on your credit card if you need it.

#4 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by Tennouji on 30/11/2010 at 19:14

I wouldn't bank on finding an ATM on Mak (terrible pun not intended!)

#5 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 129

Posted by Tilapia on 2/12/2010 at 07:59

Hi Chris,

As Swag said, there are lots of ATMs on Koh Chang.

Also, as much as I love Trat , there's no need to use it as a base to go from island to island. There's no need to go back to the mainland at all. You can easily island-hop from one to the other. But, I guess, if it were me, I'd go back to Trat in between places just because I love that night market so much.

Enjoy.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by ChrisJenko on 2/12/2010 at 08:44

Yeh sorry Tilapia i didn't mean use it as a base to come back to between islands more as a jumping off point for the first one i decide to visit and then bounce between the islands before heading back to Trat then onwards to Bangkok from Trat.

#7 ChrisJenko has been a member since 4/11/2010. Posts: 18

Posted by Tilapia on 2/12/2010 at 23:35

Hi Chris,

Trat is nice for at least one night. Great little town.

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by errik on 3/12/2010 at 17:11

Does it have a decent market?

#9 errik has been a member since 28/10/2010. Posts: 28

Posted by exacto on 4/12/2010 at 05:12

Trat has a busy, old-style day market and a hopping night market too. There is a better-than-average selection of places to stay for a town where folks don't stay very much, several good food and drink spots, and a few good massage places too. On my last visit there was a book shop, a bakery, and several nice coffee houses. It is one of my favorite places to stay in Thailand.

#10 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by errik on 7/12/2010 at 19:56

But still, you are more visible in a small town.

#11 errik has been a member since 28/10/2010. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.